We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ampelmann traffic light: where?

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
374 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
ampelmann traffic light: where?

a really touristic question :

can you tell me where i still could find a traffic light with the ampelmann ??

is it true that there are/were also traffic lights with a woman (ampelfrau, right? ) insted of a man?

thanks

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ampelmann traffic light: where?

You can see them all over the place, especially in East Berlin, where they hail from.

I think that near the Dahlem Dorf U Bahn station I've seen the woman.

In any case, you can buy any variation and many touristy (but very cute) Ampelmensch products in a store dedicated to them only, in Hackescher Markt.

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
374 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ampelmann traffic light: where?

thanks!

... i've already signed the addresses of the 3 ampelmann stores ;-)

Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ampelmann traffic light: where?

If you mean the ones that used to be in the East (excuse my iggnorance), then i saw plenty in the old East at the weekend. I also noticed one outside Zoo station as you cross from Burger King (in the old West).

Regards

UK
Level Contributor
220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ampelmann traffic light: where?

I think you'll find the 'female' traffic lights are in Dessau, but I may be wrong - quite a journey out of Berlin, but the Brandenburg Ticket is valid if you use Regional Express trains and you could also see the Bauhaus building.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ampelmann traffic light: where?

I've only seen the Frau on the souvenirs; didn't realise she existed on the street!

Ampelmann products are actually sold in lots of other souvenir shops these days though biggest range still in Ampelmann shops.

There's one in Potsdamer Arkaden shopping centre (basement) don't if that was on your list.

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
374 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ampelmann traffic light: where?

thanks, it's already in the list :-)

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ampelmann traffic light: where?

By now you'll find the ampelmann traffic lights all over Berlin, though the majority is found in the Eastern part.

I have seen the Ampfelfrau only once and that was in Dresden.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ampelmann traffic light: where?

Yep, the shops for the Ampelmaennchen are everywhere - I brought back a doormat (made of light foam-like material, easy to take home) and a plate - they're great!

9. Re: ampelmann traffic light: where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 01:18