We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seemed a good idea at the time

UK
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Topic
seemed a good idea at the time

After a couple of glasses of red wine, it seemed a fabulous and affordable idea to book a couple of cheap flights to Berlin, Schoenefeld airport...

Now, flights booked but accommodation not sorted, in the cold light of day I'm panicking. Where should we stay? We'd like as many sights as possible within walking distance - but we need reasonably priced accommodation - with breakfast.

I have followed up recent posts but most of the hotels recommended are too pricey for my budget.

Is it possible to find somewhere smallish, quirky and central with breakfast thrown in for £100 for two nights? Or was I deluded to think this was possible?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seemed a good idea at the time

Well, it would be much easier for all of us on here if you told us about your travel dates.

Generally speaking when looking for accommodation in Germany check with hrs.com and hotel.de

Try to get a good rate at the Park Inn hotel on Alexanderplatz, which is a very central location. Berlin is a very widespread city so walking distance to as many sights as possible is quite difficult. But the city has got a great public transportation system.

Really central locations are the Hilton, the Radisson, the Westin Grand, the Adlon to name just a few. But they're really pricey. You might be able to get a good deal at the NH Hotel Berlin Mitte or the Mercure at Gleisdreieck though.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seemed a good idea at the time

I can't really recommend a hotel but I'm pretty sure you can find something affordable. You could also check out the hostels, most of them also offer double rooms.

Most sights are found in Mitte but especially the hotels close to them are mostly more expensive. Berlin is fairly widespread so you will have to use public transport (which is excellent) even if you stay in Mitte. Therefore you could stay in other central areas, e.g. Charlottenburg. It wont take you long to get to Mitte by bus or S-Bahn.

A pension/hotel which might be in your price range is Pension Peters www.pension-peters-berlin.de/fs_pen0.htm It's around the corner of Savignyplatz where you'll find many nice bars and restaurants.

UK
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: seemed a good idea at the time

Thanks for your response Andres - the flights are booked for 11th of January. I'm hoping there may be some special prices available then.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seemed a good idea at the time

have you every used priceline? www.priceline.co.uk

You will get more information on www.biddingfortravel.com

We got Intercontinental 5* on there, but they have lower star rating hotels that have had winning bids well within your price range! I think one was a Marriot chain hotel (can't remember the name but it's their 3* type one).

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seemed a good idea at the time

HeXX, according to HRS.com you can easily get two nights for GBP 100, which is €150 which means a budget of €75 per night. E.g. the ***Hotel Berolina at Gedächtniskirche. It's right next to the zoo across from the InterContinental...

UK
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: seemed a good idea at the time

Thanks!

I will investigate - also looking at the art'otel berlin-mitte and the park plaza as recommended in these posts. The Plaza looks to have the edge at thye moment (breakfast...mmmmmn).

One more thing - I do like to come out of where I'm staying and walk about a bit - are thse hotels OK in terms of safety, a bit of bustle etc? (I once stayed in a very nice hotel sandwiched between two flyovers - not so good!)

Germany
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: seemed a good idea at the time

Hello,

if you havn't found anything yet, you could try the Motel One Berlin Mitte (www.motel-one.de). I havn't stayed there, but I think the location is quite good and the price reasonable. They also have a motel at Kudamm, but it seems that this one is a little bit more expensive.

athens, greece
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: seemed a good idea at the time

Hello HeXX,

have you tried Suitehotel at Potzdamer Platz? It is decent, the only problem is the poor breakfast (coffee and croissants or packed items...)More info you can find on hotel's reviews (from tripadvisor) or on the official site www.suitehotel.com. Check also Swissotel on Ku'damm. It offers well priced accomodation and very good breakfast.

Have a nice trip!

UK
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: seemed a good idea at the time

Thanks! Will investigate Swissotel on Ku'damm. Is it easy to get to from the airport?

As you can probably tell - I am totally ignorant about Berlin (I will do more research before we come!)

I would like to get off the plane, maybe take a train or bus to my hotel, dump the bags and immerse myself in the city. We only have 2 days so the less fussing around the better.

athens, greece
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: seemed a good idea at the time

Hi again,

you can take the train from the airport, the station is about 5-10 min walk from the terminal and you get off at the zoo station (direct train,don't remember the # right now). Swissotel is about 5 min walk. Very convenient!! In general, berlin transportation network is very efficient. I will be at Swissotel during Christmas, so i can e-mail you after my return for more details.