We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visitors - Advice Please

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
103 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Visitors - Advice Please

Hello,

My boyfriend and I will be staying in Berlin for 5 nights in August.

We are considering staying at the Apartments am Brandenburger Tor. I understand are located close to a number of the key places to visit, however, I would appreciate further advice regarding the area. Are these apartments close to cafes, restaurants, etc? Is this a safe area?

I would also appreciate advice about weather and clothing in August. What is the usual weather at this time of year, and what kind of clothing would we need to wear?

Thanks for any advice that you can provide.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visitors - Advice Please

> I understand are located close to a number of the key places to visit, however, I would appreciate further advice regarding the area. Are these apartments close to cafes, restaurants, etc?

Yes. But you can't do much wrong on this aspect in central Berlin.

> Is this a safe area?

You're facing the best guarded block in Berlin (rear side of the UK and US embassies).

> What is the usual weather at this time of year

Unpredictable. Could be anything between 15 and 35 °C.

Berlin (Mitte)
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Visitors - Advice Please

Hi -

what are your preferences, how old are you (just app.) etc.? The Brandenburg Gate area is very nice, but you may want to consider taking yourself more east or south - unless you're 65 +, that is.

Coming to Berlin for sights and museums, avantgarde galleries and/or flashy night-life?

Sydney
Level Contributor
103 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Visitors - Advice Please

We're in our mid-20s, and our main interest in Berlin is definitely its history, so we plan to do a few of the walking tours that are offered, and to take a day trip to the Sachsenhausen concentration camp. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Also, are there any particular areas/hotels/apartments "more east or south" that you would recommend? Ideally, our total budget for accommodation for the 5 nights would be around 300 Euros, but for that length of time, we'd prefer not to stay in a hostel if possible.

Byen
Level Contributor
574 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Visitors - Advice Please

If you are interrested in history the Apertments am Brandenburger Tor is definitely the place to stay. The apartments are located in blocks of flats that are built where the government buildings, the Reichskanzlei used to be. You have the Hitler bunker on your backyard. And the apartments and the service in the "reception" are very good.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Visitors - Advice Please

Weather in Berlin really in unpredictable. We had really hot summers with temperature of 35°C and more but it could be also quite chilly where the temperature hardly climbs over 20°C. As for clothes you should take mainly summer clothes but also should have at least one longsleeved shirt and long trousers with you, maybe even a jumper if it gets chilly.

The Apartments am Brandenburger Tor are very convinient for sightseeing but I personally don't like Mitte that much when it comes to bars and restaurants as I find most of them too posh and often it's overpriced for what is offered (especially compared to similiar places in other areas) and I often experienced bad service. You'll certainly will find nice bars and restaurants but due to the bad experiences I encountered I prefer going out in other areas like Charlottenburg, Schöneberg, Kreuzberg and Prenzlauer Berg. Anyway, due to Berlins efficient public transport system you'll easily and quickly get to other areas for a meal or drink.

Central Berlin in general fairly safe. Just use your common sense and you'll be fine.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Visitors - Advice Please

Weather in Berlin really in unpredictable. We had really hot summers with temperature of 35°C and more but it could be also quite chilly where the temperature hardly climbs over 20°C. As for clothes you should take mainly summer clothes but also should have at least one longsleeved shirt and long trousers with you, maybe even a jumper if it gets chilly.

The Apartments am Brandenburger Tor are very convinient for sightseeing but I personally don't like Mitte that much when it comes to bars and restaurants as I find most of them too posh and often it's overpriced for what is offered (especially compared to similiar places in other areas) and I often experienced bad service. You'll certainly will find nice bars and restaurants but due to the bad experiences I encountered I prefer going out in other areas like Charlottenburg, Schöneberg, Kreuzberg and Prenzlauer Berg. Anyway, due to Berlins efficient public transport system you'll easily and quickly get to other areas for a meal or drink.

Central Berlin in general fairly safe. Just use your common sense and you'll be fine.

Vancouver, BC
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time Visitors - Advice Please

It seems Schöneberg district near the Sony Center is pretty central for us. Any nice hotel below 100 euro/night/double room from Sept.4-7 this year? Thanks for the insight of this in advance. (Louis)

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time Visitors - Advice Please

Luis - first of all, I would suggest that you'd post your question separately, so that people will see it and not Kylesjs question.

But in any case:

"It seems Schöneberg district near the Sony Center is pretty central for us. Any nice hotel below 100 euro/night/double room from Sept.4-7 this year? Thanks for the insight of this in advance. (Louis)"

I disagree that this is the best area for tourists, but you probably know what you're looking for. I'm afraid that a shallow search done in hotel booking sites did not yield any hotels in the Schoeneberg district and near the Potsdamer Platz. Sony Centre itself is AFAIK in Tiergarten district and the best hotels I could find for your budget are in the nearby Kreuzberg:

Holiday Inn Express

http://tiny.cc/HolidayInn

Ibis Potsdamer Platz

http://tiny.cc/Ibis

Vancouver, BC
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time Visitors - Advice Please

Thanks for the insight... I'll put a new post as suggested.

usa
Level Contributor
642 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time Visitors - Advice Please

You didn't specifically ask for info about visiting Sachsenhausen but I thought I would chime in on that anyhow. When I was in Berlin a couple months ago I took the train up to visit the camp.

You don't need to bother with a guided tour out of Berln, you can easily go on your own. You'd take the S-1 train from Berlin to Oranienburg. If I remember, it is about a 35-minute ride or something like that. Your Berlin ABC transit pass covers this, so it cheap. Once at Oranienburg station, you can take the bus to Sachsenhausen - I don't remember the number - or you can walk (about 20 minutes or better) or take a taxi, which is what I did. At the museum you can obtain plenty of information in English to guide you around the camp. Please allocate at least a couple hours or more for a visit.