We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cold War Sites in Berlin

nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cold War Sites in Berlin

Hi, i'm taking my second trip to Berlin soon and would like to focus on Cold War sites. On my last visit i saw East Side Gallery, the soviet war memorial and checkpoint charlie (and museum) as well as walking around Alexanderplatz. Does anyone have any ideas of other things to see/do relating to this period?

Melbourne
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cold War Sites in Berlin

New Berlin & Insider tours have specific walking tours

for Cold war sites. If you don't want to take a tour you could always just look at their brochures they usually tell you where they go.

I found the Stasi Muesum to be really interesting..

Normannenstr.

Ruschestr. 103, Haus 1

10365 Berlin

Opening Times

Monday to Friday: 11.00 am – 6.00 pm

Saturday, Sunday: 2.00 pm – 6.00 pm

Some of the exhibits are jaw dropping..

Soviet memorial in Treptower park is also very interesting . I don't know if thats the one you mean.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cold War Sites in Berlin

You could check out the Mauerdokumentationszentrum about the wall

www.berliner-mauer-dokumentationszentrum.de/

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cold War Sites in Berlin

Yes I'd second that! We found the visit to the Documentation Centre on Bernauer Strasse to be very moving, to me much more so than Checkpoint Charlie because the account is much less propagandistic than in Checkpoint Charlie Museum but off course Checkpoint Charlie Museum is perhaps the perfect "Cold War" sight precisely because its captions date from that period.

Bernauer Strasse was where people jumped from houses to get into the West as buildings were being bricked up because housefronts were the sector boundary. Until very recently (I took pictures in May 2007) the swathe of wasteland along Bernauer Strasse on line of deathstrip told its own story but now there are bulldozers, new buildings and it's becoming another development zone. There are plans for memorial gardens too.

Stasi HQ is really creepy. You can also visit Stasi prison in Hohenschönhausen and there is a Stasi Info Centre in central Berlin, address is Mauerstrasse but entrance also from Wilhelmstrasse. All captions in German though.

Near there, on Niederkirchnerstrasse there is a section of Wall (above Topography of Terror).

There is a good if pricey guidebook (pricey because it is so small) called Pastfinders Berlin 1945-1989. I bought my copy in Friedrichstrasse station bookshop but I've seen it on Amazon uk site. It's packed with info on sites and background (there is one on Nazi period too (Pastfinder 1933-45)

DDR-Museum is a very interesting (though small) hands-on museum on everyday life in the GDR. For more traditional presentation the relevant section of Deutsches Historishes Museum is excellent. Both have captions in English.

Allierten Museum and Deutsch-Russisches Museum (on "the Allies" and the Russians) would also be relevant though can't comment from personal experience. Both are way out of the centre though.

4. Re: Cold War Sites in Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 23:19