We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap hostels in lively areas

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap hostels in lively areas

Hi, I'm travelling for Berlin for 4 nights in late February. I visited last August and stayed in the Generator hostel, but this time I'd like something in a more lively area - not necessarily closer to the centre, but in an area like Kreuzberg or Friedrichshain or something with a lively night life and relatively sade? (Sorry if I've spelt these wrong!) I'm looking for about EUR 14 a night, willing to stay in dorms etc. Just one more thing, I'm not worried but my friend is Iranian and is worried about neo-nazis in the Kreuzberg area. I don't know why, as she's been to Berlin twice now and had no trouble whatsoever. Just any advice if there are any areas to avoid at night... we are two 18 year old females.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,903 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap hostels in lively areas

www.cirus-berlin.de

www.eastseven.de

are excellent hotels in lively areas. Albeit a bit above your budget range.

hostelz.com/hostels/…Berlin

www.hostel-list.de/hostellist.htm#Berlin

> I'm looking for about EUR 14 a night, willing to stay in dorms etc.

That's a bit on the low site.

> I'm not worried but my friend is Iranian and is worried about neo-nazis in the Kreuzberg area.

Kreuzberg is mainly inhabited by leftists and Turks. It's not a safe place for neo-nazis.

> I don't know why, as she's been to Berlin twice now and had no trouble whatsoever. Just any advice if there are any areas to avoid at night.

You'll be fine with the usual precautions for a big city. If you can survive in London you can surely do it in Berlin. Avoid remote/lonely places at night, esp. in the parts east of central Berlin (S-Bahn ring). But anyway unlikely that you would go there as a tourist at all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap hostels in lively areas

I forgot about the exchange rate...!! up to EUR 20 a night is probably more realistic I would think. Thank you for your help.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap hostels in lively areas

In Kreuzberg you could check out the Fabrik Hostel

http://www.diefabrik.com/

Norway
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap hostels in lively areas

May I also suggest Alcatraz, they have bed in an 8 bed dorm for €13. Very lively atmosphere.

http://www.alcatraz-backpacker.de/

dirtcheapberlin.com/articles/…Page1.html

5. Re: Cheap hostels in lively areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 07:21