We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area to stay in for access to best bars and clubs

Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best Area to stay in for access to best bars and clubs

Hi, 20 of us are over in Berlin in April for a stag and need to book accomodation. Mitte area sounds fine being central but would like to stay in an area that's close to the most popular bars/clubs.

Not an easy query but hopefully someone can help me.

London
Level Contributor
873 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area to stay in for access to best bars and clubs

It doesn't really matter where you stay (within reason!) as Berlin is so easy to get around at night - most u-bahns run 24 hours at weekends. As a central location, I would recommend Alexanderplatz/Mitte area as it is so easy to get to everywhere else from there!

Personally, I usually stay in Friedrichshain area (but that is personal preference due to proximity of my favourite club). Simon-Dach Strasse in Friedrichshain has lots of bars and restaurants but generally can be quite small in size.

Other areas with bars/clubs are Prenzlauer Berg and Kreutzberg but hopefully someone else could advise there, as I'm not as familiar with those areas.

For my next trip to Berlin, I have booked a room at the newish Motel One, Alexanderplatz, which does look to be a perfect central location - I'd recommend that you give them a look. http://tiny.cc/CWcLX

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area to stay in for access to best bars and clubs

I would suggest Prenzlauer Berg. Very central, tons of bars/restaurants, more funky than Mitte, close to areas for clubs etc.

http://www.schoenhouse.de/en_index.html These apartments are cheap and in a great area, might suit the bill?

Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area to stay in for access to best bars and clubs

Thanks a million for both responses. They're a big help. Sounds like I can't lose in any of these places you recommend.

Are they ok with large stag parties in most bars/clubs and is there any dress code to abide by?

Thanks

Melbourne
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area to stay in for access to best bars and clubs

Bars & Clubs are everywhere in Berlin depends what your looking for.

Friedrichshain & Kreuzberg tend to be more local type bars friendly though for the most part.

Where Alexanderplatz , Charlotenberg and Hackerscher markt & Orianenberger strasse are tourist meccas.

Prenzlauerberg is perhaps a bit of both and has some really cool ones on Schonhauser allee , Helmoldzpaltz & Kastianallee.

Give White trash a go , Cassopioa & Watergate for live music & electronica.

Also Simon dach strasse area , friedrichshain has a heap of great bars there too..

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Area to stay in for access to best bars and clubs

In your case I would recommend looking for accomodation in Mitte or Prenzlauer Berg. I don't like the nightlife much in Mitte (e.g. Hackescher Markt, Oranienburger str.), apart from the clubs. Bars and restaurant can be quite touristy and overpriced. In my experience anyway. In Prenzlauer Berg you could check out the area around Helmholtzplatz, Kollwitzplatz, Kastanienallee.

Anyway, you'll find nightlife areas in other central districts as well like

Friedrichshain - around Simon-Dach-Str.

Kreuzberg - e.g around Bergmannstr.

Schöneberg - e.g. around Winterfelplatz/Goltzstr.

Charlottenburg - e.g. around Savignyplatz (I disagree with Melbournelad about Charlottenburg being tourist meccas. You certainly will find tourist there but the majority of people are locals - I live in that area and go out there quite often)

As vampyresheep already mentioned it doesn't matter so much where you stay in Central Berlin, important is that you'll have public transport close by.

The nice thing about Berlin is that you can wear in whatever you will feel comfortable. In my experience Berliners don't dress up as much as for example Londoner do. Aynway, some clubs do have doormen and let you in or not and sometimes you will find never out why.

Not sure what clubs will say to stag parties. As long as you are not completely drunk you should be o.k.

You could check out the city magazines TIP, Zitty and Exberliner. In all of them you'll find listening on what is going on where. TIP and Zitty are in German (but you should be able to understand the listening section), Exberliner is in English.

6. Re: Best Area to stay in for access to best bars and clubs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 22:16