We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has Berlin Changed Much?

DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Has Berlin Changed Much?

I used to go to Berlin often, before the Wall came down. I had a few friends in the Eastern Sector and would visit them often, even though I'd stay in West Berlin. Those crossing points were murder. By good luck, I happened to be in Berlin when the wall came down. The most memorable time of my life.

Now, all the people I knew in the East are no longer there, and I've had no reason to go back to Berlin since.

I am planning a trip this Autumn or Winter and am considering Berlin. I am wondering, has Berlin changed much?

Can I still find a Currywurst & Frites in one of those little Imbuss stands?

Are the Donner Kabob places all over the place?

Do they still sell warm Gluhwein on street corners in Winter?

I know Berlin must have changed greatly since Unification. I guess my question is, will I be happy or unhappy with the changes?

I guess the days of going to that little bar on the Oranienstrasse and buying drinks for the whole bar for just a couple of bucks are long gone...

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has Berlin Changed Much?

I'm just back from Berlin, having spent three weeks there over three trips in the last two and a half months (Family holiday plus work with school trips). I LOVE the place and can't wait to go back. It's so vibrant and so much to see!

This last trip one of the teachers had spent a year therein 1979-80 and was comparing then and now, which was interesting. I was there for a week in 1976 (day in East Berlin), five days in 1999 and now. We certainly noticed changes even from 1999 to now. Yes there is still Currywurst and Doner.....and now Starbucks too!!!

We stayed in an apartment in Mitte at Easter (booked thro 123berlinerzimmer) and loved exploring the neighbourhood: Oranienburgerstrasse area. No doubt some of it is spruced up since you last went but I don't think you'll be disappointed. Apartments are cheap and hotels are better value than other European cities too though other prices are probably on a par.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has Berlin Changed Much?

I can't image that anyone is unhappy with the changes. The good things are still here (try out the Currywurst at Konopke, U-Bahnhof Eberswalder Str....the best and most famous in the world). Doener Kebab costs now about 2,30 Euro but is still worth it and could be found on every corner. Same with Gluehwein in the winter.

If I would have the choice from the Berlin before 89 and now I would definitely choose the actual.

DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Has Berlin Changed Much?

Thank you both for your replies. I'm sure I will find the city much changed, but then what city doesn't change with time.

I used to stay in a small hotel (Hotel Brenner, now gone) close by, but behind KaDeWe (was that the Wittenburgplatz U-bann stop).

From what I hear all the action seems to be in Mitte. I'll look around there.

I also need to look in on someone in Hallisches Tor area. People have said it is safe during the day time. Do you agree?

Cheers,

Dev

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has Berlin Changed Much?

Hi Dev.

I just got back on Tuesday after not having been since '88 and I'll tell you, the city is sooo different. For won thing, all of the incredible places that were in the East and unaccessable are now open.

We stayed in the Park Inn on the Alexanderplatz and wow, was it a great hotel! One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in.

The Ku'damm is nearly unchanged! There is still a great little music store right next to the Kaiser Wilhelm church.

The bier is wunderbar!! The pommes and schnitzel are fantastic!

I'll try to provide more details when I do my trip report.

I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions.

dave