We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin on May Day

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin on May Day

My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe in the Spring and we might end up in Berlin on or around May Day. I've read about riots and protests and am a little hesitant. Does anyone know if it's safe for foreign travelers in Berlin at this time or should we avoid it altogether?

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin on May Day

As well known, Berlin is placed just before Yemen and Afghanistan as the most dangerous place for Europeans to travel to. As a hostage in Berlin, though, I cannot say anything bad about my hosts: good food, great parties, cheap rent, good universities.

OK, seriously - you have nothing to be concerned about. First of all, not every May Day demonstration is a riot. Most are peaceful and usually also colourful events to picture. There is a certain neighbourhood (and when saying neighbourhood, I mean 2-3 blocks around Kotbusser Tor, Oranienplatz, Kobusser Damm, not more than that), whereas - AFTER DARK - some people start to riot. During the day, in fact, there is a street party in the same streets (as the city authorities, of course, try to attract more normal people to the area). In the worst case, if you're so afraid, just don't go to Kotbusser Tor area, it is not like it is one of the prime tourist attractions in Berlin in any case. Do what most of the Berliners do on May Day - most go to the beach, BBQ or go to museums and street-fairs.

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin on May Day

Thank you lylou,

I just wanted to know because I have never been to Germany. Only Netherlands and France. I know the media tends to sensationalize pretty much anything exciting, but I am an anxious person by disposition and naturally have a wild and unhinged imagination. But we are still coming to visit your awesome city and country! So thank you for your feedback.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin on May Day

As menioned before there is no reason to avoid Berlin on May Day. As a tourist visiting you probably wont even realize that there are any demonstrations or even riots. There are - if at all - in an area where you don't really go unless you really want to.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,809 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin on May Day

It's like St-Jean-Baptiste day used to be in the 70s. If you stayed away from Le Vieux Montréal, you never realized there was anything unusual going on. Aside from Kotbusser Tor area mentioned above, sometimes it's best to avoid the Mauerpark in Prenzlauer Berg. Neither area would be high on the list of a tourist visiting Berlin

Melbourne
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin on May Day

Mayday is one of the best days of the year in Berlin.

There are stages for bands set up all over Kreuzberg - gorlitzer bahnof/ orianenstrasse.

food & drink being sold every ten metres. In beer gardens nearby there are DJ's spinning records.

There's lots of different there people all ages. It's really a good day no need to be worried about your safety . There are plenty of police about to keep order nowadays. If there is any trouble its usually in the evening when most of the days activities have finished. No need to worry..

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin on May Day

Merci beaucoup!! I feel better now. As Montrealers, we're used to big crowds.

7. Re: Berlin on May Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 02:19