We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best cake, patissieres and bread in Berlin

UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best cake, patissieres and bread in Berlin

Hey TAs:

Just a silly, but delicious question:

Which shop in Berlin serves the best cake, bread and pastries? Do cakes in Berlin similar to the viennese version, such as Gugehulf, and apfelstrudel.

What is the tyipcal German cake? Haha, probably my waistline will extend after my trip to berlin.

Best,

Cherryx

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best cake, patissieres and bread in Berlin

Hi,

Berlin is a real disaster when it comes to bakeries. If you ask me most bakeries are bad and overpriced. As your Hotel is near the Zoo you could try the KaDeWe food floor. It's even pricier than normal bakeries but at least it's good.

Another bakery I could recommend is Albrechts Patisserie. One of their cafes is in Fasanenstr. 29 which is in walking distance to your Hotel.

www.albrechts-patisserie.de

www.kadewe-berlin.de

berlin
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best cake, patissieres and bread in Berlin

It is difficult to find small nice bakeries in Berlin, because as in all big German cities, most bakeries belong to chain networks, such as Kamps. You can find these on every street corner, at the entrance to supermarkets, etc. I would say roughly that a bakery which doesn't belong to a chain is usually a good one; if it had managed to survive the fierce competition with the cheap chain bakeries. Having said that, I have found that most non-German visitors have had delight even in visiting those, and that they were also impressed by the quality of the chain bakeries, which are obviously (and sort of justly) looked down upon by Solid8.

A bit more formal than a bakery, try the cakes at the Oper Palais, which is the coffee house near the Staatsoper.

Berlin speciality? Perhaps Baklava? Seriously, the doughnut is called elsewhere in Germany "Berliner" (in Berlin: Pfannkuchen); many famous Berlin desserts are puddings or jellies; and there are many small baked goods - Danish-like - that are also typical. You can also find all the regular torte cakes in Berlin, or Strudel, etc.

berlin
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best cake, patissieres and bread in Berlin

Several additional places which you shouldn't miss if you like desserts :

* The chocolate restaurant over Fassbender and Rausch in Gendarmenmarkt

* The nearby food court at the Galleries Lafayette

* The Cafe am Literaturhaus, which is a coffee-shop on Fasanenstrasse, near the Kaethe Kollwizt Museum and many nice galleries

UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best cake, patissieres and bread in Berlin

Thanks a lot Lyrou and Solid8. I suppose that patisseries in Berlin will not be as pricey as in London. I am looking forward to try it, and try to find the way to burn calories by walking around berlin.

Best,

Cherryx

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best cake, patissieres and bread in Berlin

I'm not such a fan of cakes but my in-laws are and they absolutely love the following cafes which all belong to the same owner

Wiener Conditorei & Caffeehaus

Am Roseneck

Hohenzollerndamm 92

14199 Grunewald

there isn't really an underground/S-Bahnstation in walking distance. Best way to get there is to take the bus X10 from Zoo station, the bus stop should be called Roseneck

or

Am Steubenplatz

Reichsstr. 81

14052 Berlin

nearest underground station Neu-Westend on the U2

A friend absolutely loves Anna Blume in Prenzlauer Berg when it comes to cakes but I haven't been there

http://www.cafe-anna-blume.de/

Compared to the UK I think the bread at the chain bakeries are perfectly fine, but a bit better usually at independent bakeries.

UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best cake, patissieres and bread in Berlin

Thanks for all your sweet and delicious suggestions. I will try to travel around and find the best patisserie in Berlin.

Best,

Cherryx

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,204 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best cake, patissieres and bread in Berlin

Opernpalais has a selection of over 40 cakes but on recent visits my son and I have left feeling less than satisfied. Sometimes a bit dry, sometimes lacking in taste. Hard to pinpoint but just say we don't rush there any more.

You could try Cafe Sibylle on Karl-Marx-Allee. Small selection, but really delicious (taste "home-made").

I am another of those non-Germans who thinks the variety of breads even in the chain bakeries is wonderful. Try Spanish bakeries where there's a choice of baguette or "country bread"!

berlin
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best cake, patissieres and bread in Berlin

hi, my suggestion:

not quite city center, but really good

www.rabien-berlin.de

KLINGSORSTRASSE 13

10 min. walk from s/u station rathaus steglitz

and one famous german pastry would be "baumkuchen"

that would translate to "tree-cake" ;-)

in steglitz also some good shopping on "schloßstr."

UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best cake, patissieres and bread in Berlin

Thanks for all your recommandation, cant wait to visit Berlin now. Btw, is there a Laduree cafe in Berlin?

Does any one know the pirce? I am sure it is cheaper than in London.

Best,

Cherryx

berlin
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best cake, patissieres and bread in Berlin

Yes, there is one in the Galleries Lafayette. Not sure about the prices, through