We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

district of Britz

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Topic
district of Britz

Hello there, just wondering how convenience is this area?? I try to book Bearinn Apartments the address is Burgerstr, South of Berlin.

And

Wondering does anyone lived there before? they have apartment en-suite for 2 person and double room en-suite, but they don't have picture for the double room to show, don't know what's the different between this two?? I read good reviews about this apartment.

I quite happy to stay out of the tourist area and love to enjoy the local food in local price. we'll get a welcome card to move around.

Thank you.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,921 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: district of Britz

S-Bahn and U-Bahn network map

www.s-bahn-berlin.de/pdf/s-bahn_netz.pdf

This is close to the U-Bahn station Grenzallee on the line U7 (light blue on the map). Just outside of the central Berlin A zone.

Not dead central, but not remote either.

> I quite happy to stay out of the tourist area

True.

> and love to enjoy the local food

The locals enjoy international cuisine

> in local price.

... at local prices.

> we'll get a welcome card to move around.

Fine.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: district of Britz

I'm not really sure if Britz is the right area to stay for a Berlin visitor. Berlins public transport is very efficient and you easily and quickly get around the city but at night Britz can get a bit boring. You'll find a few restaurants in that area but that's all. There wont be many bars or restaurants. So if you want to enjoy a bit of Berlins nightlife (even just different pubs/restaurants) you will have to travel. I only would recommend staying in the suburbs if you visit friends (but can't stay with them) who live close by or if you have been in Berlin many times and are interested in exploring other areas of Berlin or areas outside of Berlin.

I would recommend staying a bit more central. There are many areas within Central Berlin which are not that touristy and where you'll be among mainly locals. I live for example in a part of Charlottenburg which is a residential area where you'll mainly meet locals and only the odd tourists. You'll have quite a few restaurants in walking distance and even a couple of bars. The good thing I only jump on the underground for 5 stops and I'm at Zoo Station.

Going out for a meal in Berlin is fairly cheap especially compared to the UK. The only area I usually avoid for going out for a meal is Mitte as I find many restaurants there overpriced. You'll find nice restaurants to fair prices there though. Anyway, in the rest of Central Berlin it is easy to find good restaurant to very affordable prices.

UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: district of Britz

cheers guys, how about district prenzlaver, East & West?

many thanks.

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: district of Britz

As BerlinGal has already written, Berlin is not similar to other cities, in the sense that most "touristy" areas are also normal areas, with normal prices and normal people who live there. The only exception I could think about is the Potsdamer Platz area, which is very phoney/touristy with only hotels and entertainment; and while Berliners do come to the shopping mall and the entertainment centre, it is over-priced and lame there.

The area you have first mentioned, Britz, is very much like a suburb. You said that you want to go to restaurants that the locals go to. However, locals who live in Britz and want to go to a good restaurant, not just your neighbourhood Croatian or Doener (that's usually the two types of places you can find in areas like this; a little like the compulsory Tandoori in British suburbia. Because the public transit in Berlin is good, if you *had* to stay in Britz, I'd say that it is not too bad (BTW - two things that do deserve a look in Britz, if someone is already there is the Britz park and the "Hufeisensiedlung" - the Horse-Shoe-Block - which is an interesting experiment in social housing from the 1920s, built by famous German architect at the time Bruno Taut).

You have later asked about Prenzlauer Berg. Prenzlauer Berg is great. It is a residential neighbourhood in East Berlin (a mixture of yuppies in renovated buildings and artists in not-so-renovated ones), many thirtysomethings with the highest birth-rate in Germany - very young; lots of cafes, restaurants, etc., the prices are not high in comparison to London although sometimes higher than in a place like Britz (but then again, better quality and a larger variety); the place is (still) not loaded with tourists, though because of the Yuppie population (and many "foreign" artists) almost everybody speaks decent English, which is another thing that might be a problem in a more suburban area.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: district of Britz

The areas which I personally find quite touristy are the already by lylou mentioned Potsdamer Platz (I only go there for the movies and shopping mall) and Mitte. Potsdamer Platz is mainly office but in Mitte you'll have shops, office as well as quite a lot of residential living.

Other areas in Central Berlin which might be interesting for you are Charlottenburg, Wilmersdorf, Schöneberg, Prenzlauer Berg, Friedrichshain. All districts are central, you have mainly locals living there and it's not really touristy. The only exception is the Ku'Damm area in Charlottenburg but even there you'll have quite a few locals living there.

UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: district of Britz

Thank you very much, guys, I got the idea now. have a nice day.

7. Re: district of Britz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 18:20