We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gardens, parks, flowers (sic) in Berlin this coming weekend

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tarragona, Spain
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Topic
Gardens, parks, flowers (sic) in Berlin this coming weekend

I have read of the "Gardens of the world-Marzhan" site, here in a post dated in early April.

We also glanced at (due to lack of time; we do plan to go back)the estate around Schloss Charlottenburg on our only previous visit.

And I have read of a Tulip Festival in the Dutch Quarter of Potsdam (not Berlin!) on Sat and Sun 19th and 20th April.

Are these the 3 best in class, so to speak or can anyone recommend any other worthwhile park/garden which is equal to or of greater "value" than the above.

Thanks

Germany
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gardens, parks, flowers (sic) in Berlin this coming weekend

In my opinion the greatest park is Sanssouci in Potsdam . It is easy to reach from Berlin with train S7. At Hauptbahnhof Potsdam change to the 'castle line bus' 695 .

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,525 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gardens, parks, flowers (sic) in Berlin this coming weekend

Yes Sans souci park in Potsdam s wonderful, mainly parkland, few formal plantings; you can also visit the greenhouses. Plus the palaces, it's a must!!! Lacks Charlottenburg's lake, that's the only thing. You could easily combine that with the Dutch Quarter as it's walkable between the 2.

Last autumn we also went to Cecilienhof, which is in a different part of Potsdam . Cecilienhof is where the Potsdam conference was held in 1945; the building is in English manor-house style and the gardens are also English-style. In October there were masses of Michaelmas daisies and other English country-garden flowers in bloom. As you will appreciate Jim, not something I get to see over here in Spain and I took loads of photos!

There is a bus to Cecilienhof, you cd ask at Potsdam station; zone ABC ticket covers you for everything. There is also a bus from outside the station, running every 20 mins to Sans souci park; more frequent than the train and drops you by Neues Palais.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,525 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gardens, parks, flowers (sic) in Berlin this coming weekend

Sorry, I'd read Molineros post too fast first time and now realise (s)he says about the bus.

My reference to train was to the regional train (not S-Bahn) that stops at Sanssouci station, but it's not as convenient as the bus (though interesting to see the station the Kaiser had built for his private use)

Tarragona, Spain
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gardens, parks, flowers (sic) in Berlin this coming weekend

Thank you, gracies, gracias, danke.

Any further contributions very welcome, of course....including any observations about the "GofTW-Marzhan" site.

JS

UK
Level Contributor
220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gardens, parks, flowers (sic) in Berlin this coming weekend

Have a look at what's on at Britzer Garten. I'm not sure about what's on in April but it's great in summer. (it was the site of the German annual garden festival in the 80s and has been going strong ever since) easily reached by U7 and bus.

6. Re: Gardens, parks, flowers (sic) in Berlin this coming weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 00:20