We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip from Berlin - Ostsee?

Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Daytrip from Berlin - Ostsee?

We'll have a few days in Berlin next month and are considering throwing in a day trip or two (by rental car).

Looking at my trusted google map, I see places like Wismar, Rostock or Luebeck are within range. Assuming that we are looking for something like a nice stroll on the beach mixed with some history, which of these places would you recommend?

Thanks for your input,

Level Contributor
2,109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrip from Berlin - Ostsee?

How many is "a few days"? There is A LOT to see in Berlin itself. I am talking about 4-5 days minimum.

But in any case, Wismar and Rostock are both nice, and between them, there are romantic places to stroll.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrip from Berlin - Ostsee?

Berlin will easily keep you occupied for days. Anyway, if you have got the time a day trip is a good idea. There are heaps of nice towns along the Baltic coast like Rostock, Warnemünde, Kühlungsborn.

Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrip from Berlin - Ostsee?

try the hanseatic town of Stralsund which is about 3 hours drive from Berlin. Unesco Heritage, the city centre complety restored and very walkable, funky new acquarium (Ozeaneum) and the gate to Germany's biggest islands of Ruegen (which is just beautiful). Fantastic beaches there, within 30 minutes of Stralsund (by car, try the southern tip of the isalnd). Or, take a ferry to "Hiddensee" (from the port), a really small island off the coast where you can rent bikes (it is a car free island)and explore the island,eat a lot of fresh fish, climb up to the old lighthouse and just be surrounded by the baltic sea (and beaches). It really is a great day trip and one that is quite authentically German, meaning you wont meet very many international tourists. There are several boats a day, I seemt to remember the return ticket is about 20 something Euro.

An alternative would be the island of Usedom which is where a lot of people from Berlin go for their weekend houses / breaks. Also pretty with a lot of restored sea bridges and majestic houses in smallish, elegant towns.

Rostock would be ok, Warnemuende is really nice for an afternoon stroll.

Wismar is also nice, however, it is a bit further than Stralsund and quite a but smaller. Again, it is a UNESCO town.

My first choice would be the Stralsund / Ruegen (or Hiddensee) combination. You'd need a minimum of 2-3 days for this.

Any questions, let me know, happy to help.

4. Re: Daytrip from Berlin - Ostsee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 05:28