We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Berlin, January 2010

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
867 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Berlin, January 2010

I finally booked my flight to Berlin (258 euros for a direct flight Madeira Island - Berlin: that's a bargain!) and I'm already planning my trip.

I'll be staying in Berlin from 16.01.2010 to 23.01.2010 and this will be my fifth trip to the German capital.

I have these mandatory rituals everytime I go to Berlin: Currywürste at the lovely Imbiss am Zoo; a play at the Berliner Kriminal Theater; an Italian meal at VAPIANO; and the indispensable 5-day German course at PROLOG to improve my language skills.

This time, I was also planning to go see a cabaret show at the Kleine Nachtrevue (naughty, naughty!)

Any other ideas? (I love theater, great food, flea markets and 'Bio Produkte').

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,587 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Berlin, January 2010

It's the time of year when Germans are headed for warm places like Madeira. It's interesting to hear someone is doing the other way around.

How about an evening at the Kookaburra Comedy Club on Schönhauser Allee?

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Berlin, January 2010

There is the International Green Week, which is an agricultural/food exhibition (one of the largest in the world). Some things are strictly for food industry professionals, but a lot is open to the general public, and you can taste many new or exotic products, etc. It is in the Messe Congress/Exhibition Grounds.

In addition, I would imagine that there aren't many ice-rinks in Madeira (please correct me if I'm wrong) - so probably going to an ice-rink (you don't have to bring skates, you can rent them there) is new and fun. I don't know what would happen this winter, but normally there are winter events (markets, rinks, etc.) in Potsdamer Platz, under the title of "Winterwelt".

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
867 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Berlin, January 2010

Wonderful tips guys, thank you!

Any other ideas?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Berlin, January 2010

If you haven't been yet you should check out the Winterfeldmarket on Winterfeldplatz every Wednesday and Saturday.

Berlin has got now a museum for the currywurst http://www.currywurstmuseum.de/ ... not sure what it is like ... it's only opening today.

I quite like going to Bar jeder Vernunft or TIPI ... they have sometimes really nice shows.

Edinburgh (Scotland)
Level Contributor
224 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Berlin, January 2010

I can definately recommend Green Week, I'm heading over to Berlin myself on the 15th January for my annual trip to Green Week.

It can get pretty cold in Berlin in January so Green Week is a good way to spend a full day in out of the cold. The best part is that you can eat and drink yourself around the world.

Washington, DC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Berlin, January 2010

Skip the house of 100 beers (Mommsen eck). They spilled hot soup on my lap and didn't even offer to give any discount to my bill. They even charged me for the soup. When I spoke to a manager she said it wasn't her fault I was spilled on. It was freezing cold that day and I had a long way back to my hotel with wet pants, and my coat smelled like soup for the rest of the trip.

7. Re: Things to do in Berlin, January 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2010, 07:15