We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large Supermarkets in Berlin

Dublin
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Large Supermarkets in Berlin

Hello,

I am going to Berlin in October for a week with a number of friends and will be cooking my food in an apartment we are renting. I was wondering if anyone knew of large supermarkets in Berlin Mitte.

Thank you

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Large Supermarkets in Berlin

Supermarkets in central Berlin tend to be fairly small, though well-stocked - sort of like a village Centra rather than a Tesco on the edge of town. There's a Real hypermarket at the Gesundbrunnen Center which is directly at Gesundbrunnen station (S1, S2, S25, S41, S41, U8 and regional trains). However, local branches of Lidl, Aldi and Edeka will have most of what you need in terms of fruit & veg, meat, alcohol and soft drinks.

Be aware that most supermarkets don't accept Visa or MasterCard. Kaiser's, Real and Rewe do.

Mitte covers a fair bit of ground - you'd really need to be specific about where you are.

Some websites to get you started:

www.real.de

www.rewe.de

www.lidl.de

www.aldi-essen.de

www.kaisers.de

www.edeka.de

To find a branch, look for "Filialsuche" and entre the postcode (PLZ) of where you are staying.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Large Supermarkets in Berlin

Don't worry you'll find different supermarkets all over the place. Close to the underground station Mohrenstr. is a big(ish) Ullrich supermarket. Most are smaller but in the shopping centres (like ALEXA at Alexanderplatz) are fairly big ones. Maybe not as big as you are used to ... if the ones in Dublin are as big as the ones I experienced in the UK.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,440 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Large Supermarkets in Berlin

The ground floor of the Kaufhof department store in Alexanderplatz may be what you're looking for. It's a large gourmet area, with choice meats, fish, cheeses and other dairy products, wines and spirits, other grocery products and a small fruit and vegetable section. And it's very centrally located for Mitte, right on the S-Bahn, U-Bahn and tram lines.

But if it's fresh fruits and vegetables you want, you can't beat a market such as the farmers market in Kollwitzplatz on Saturdays.

4. Re: Large Supermarkets in Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2010, 06:29