We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best District - Location

England
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best District - Location

I wonder if anyone can advise.

My wife and I are coming to Berlin for a long weekend in late November.

What is the best district in to find accommodation? It's such a large city that we don't want to end up in the wrong area of the city.

Also, is it easy to get from Schonefeld airport to the city?

kfar vradim, Israel
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best District - Location

I just returned from a 5 nights trip to Berlin. It was my second visit , in the previous visit I stayed at Mercure at check point charlie , this time at the Melia.

Both are great and highly recomended - you can not go wrong. Both are at the Mitte area which I think is best to stay at - you are within walking distance from most of the important sight , there are plenty of restaurnts and cafe's , and it's a really nice area. Enjoy your stay !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best District - Location

I am also travelling to Germany, as was thinking to stay in Berlin. I you don't mind if I ask what did you do for 5 days? Thanks.

Berlin
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best District - Location

Hey there!

Well, I too would recommend staying somewhere close to the center, as most sights tourists are usually interested in will be close by (although I'd like to mention that we don't have just one "downtown" in Berlin like it is the case in many american - or even other european - cities, it's not like there's the center and the rest is pretty much ghost town. Also, public transport is great).

That being said, I'd recommend staying somewhere in Mitte or somewhere in the western part of town - I wouldn't go too far east or too far into the fringe.

Try areas like: Friedrichstrasse, Unter den Linden, Potsdamer Platz or somewhere near to Kurfürstendamm.

All those areas are likely to cost you a few bucks, though.

Maybe you could have a closer look at those areas and then post what you found here, so we could make suggestions.

On the topic of transport from Schönefeld:

There's a commuter train running every half hour from Schönefeld to e.g. Hauptbahnhof (central station) or Zoologischer Garten - it's the RE7/14 and the journey's about 40 minutes.

There's also the overground (called S-Bahn), which would take about 55 minutes, but I'm not sure if and how it will operate at that time, since we're dealing with a slight crisis here at the moment. ;-) (A lot of trains are in need of maintenance all at once and therefore the S-Bahn traffic is all over the place...)

Both options require a single journey ticket (valid for two hours, going in one direction) for areas ABC at € 2.80.

Berlin
Level Contributor
50 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best District - Location

Berlin will keep you more than occupied for 5 days, believe me! I love this city which is about the same area in size as Greater London but with only 3 million inhabitants. There are over 250 museums, ranging from modern contemporary to science and dolls and model train displays.

The nightlife is legendary and dining is very very good and also very cheap compared to any other major city in Europe. There are a lot of other nice things to do in Berlin - walking in the Tiergarten or the park in Marzahn (which is quite exotic), shopping (the KaDeWe is the biggest department store in Europe), concerts, ballet, opera (we have 3 opera houses!), sightseeing (Europe's most beautiful square is allegedly in Gendarmermarkt), zoos, aquariums (Berlin has Europe's largest glass aquarium), etc, etc.

For accomodation areas, I recommend also Mitte, but Mitte is a big district, so I would stay around Potsdamer Platz if possible as there are good bus connections between east and west Berlin from there. The S-Bahns are having some serious issues at the moment, but the U-Bahns and RE trains are fine. Where you stay will also depend on your budget: a good cheap place is Etap or IBIS next to Potsdamer Platz, but you can search for other good deals on www.hotel.de

But most of all, I recommend Berlin for its range of fine dining, arguably better than any other capital city in Europe, even London and Paris, especially if you compare prices. I have lots and lots of dining suggestions but it would take way too long to list them all here.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best District - Location

Thanks for being so generous with your time, and info.

I've noted this all down, for our trip in 2010, and agree we'll have plenty to do!

England
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best District - Location

Thank you for all the help. Booking a hotel has been a nightmare due to the number on offer. We went for the Melia in the end and hope all willbe ok.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best District - Location

The Melia is a great choice - we are staying there in 6 weeks. Chose it for location and amenities for the price. And we like the Melia hotels we have stayed in elsewhere.

Unknown
Level Contributor
502 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best District - Location

hi! as a brit who used to work in Schoenefeld airport, I can say the transport is fantastic.

Which city centre are you staying in, East or West? if youre East, get the airport express train, if youre West, get the bus plus tube.

my mum and dad always stayed at the best western hermannplatz when they visited me. it is in the west but a short tube ride to all the east attractions like the tv tower, alexanderplatz etc. its close to the district of kreuzberg which has a good choice of restaurants, bars etc.

The hotel is a bit basic but breakfast is really nice (up til 10.30) and minibar surprisingly reasonable. checkout is 11ish but whats perfect is, there is a huge department store called Karstadt facing the hotel, you can while away time there while waiting for your flight. in the store theres a pub and a rooftop cafe bar. theres also an excellent vietnamese place in the area called Hamy's.

England
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best District - Location

Hi we are flying into Schonefeld and staying at the Melia Hotel in the Mitte area in the Eastern side of the city.

So I am right in thinking that the S-Bahn would be the best thing for us to get into the city?

Berlin
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best District - Location

In your case, and bearing in mind the current S-Bahn situation, I'd advise you to take the RB 7 or 14 (commuter train) to Friedrichstr. - no need to change and it will only take 30 minutes.