We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family trip

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
family trip

heading to berlin with my husband and 3 kids aged 12, 10 & 8, looking for ideas for things to do for kids, I hear the Zoo is fantastic?

also any ideas for a few restaurants that welcome families?

Is there a time limit at night for kids to be out of restaurants?

thanks

annette

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,167 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: family trip

Berlin for families

visitberlin.de/english/zielgruppen/e_zg_kind…

> also any ideas for a few restaurants that welcome families?

By far the most will welcome families.

> Is there a time limit at night for kids to be out of restaurants?

No. Not if they are together with you.

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family trip

I would strongly suggest you go swimming - Germany has the most fantastic swimming pools, fun pools, thermal pools you name it. You can usually hire towels also so no need to schlep towels around. Try and find a pool that has an outdoor pool facility also as this is such an unusual phenomenon to us to swim outdoors in chilly conditions in a lovely toasty outdoor pool.

www.berlinerbaederbetriebe.de. some pools websites will have the option to change language to English.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
746 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family trip

I took my 11 year old there this summer and it was a great trip. She liked the zoo, but beware that many of the enclosures are very sad for the animals, particularly the large cats. But worth a trip, as they had some great birds, a baby elephants, etc. that we loved seeing. We did not do the aquarium.

My DD is very into art, so we did many of the art museums, but at a quicker pace than maybe my husband and I would have....if you travel with your kids much you know what I mean. Mostly, she liked wandering around the cool neighborhoods, finding cool stores, ice cream, people watching....which is very fun in Berlin.

For the history part, we spent a good part of one day on a private tour with Jeremy Minsberg. It was an expense, but found that a private tour worked for us, as she was able to hear the history and walk the history at her own pace. He was very good at keeping her interested and engaged. It was definitely a highlight of our trip and I can't imagine how her eyes would have rolled back in her head if I had tried to drag her around through the historical parts.

She also enjoyed exploring all the forms of transport (We are americans with mass transit envy).

When she comes home from school, I will ask for her advice too.

dublin
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family trip

hi there

thanks thats great info, i had heard the zoo was worth a visit!

I am considering the bus tour or maybe hiring bikes but not so sure if too challenging for my nearly 8 yr old.

thanks again

annette

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family trip

A lot of good ideas - where to take kids...

europeforvisitors.com/berlin/resources/berli…

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: family trip

How to save money - families:

300 restaurants, bars/clubs, theaters/operas, hotels, etc. are associates of get2card, a two for one card for 20 Euros for 1 week. Unfortunately, the website is in German only, so make sure you understand the terms and exemptions of this offer.

http://www.get2card.de/Touristen.5.0.html

Berlin's State Museums have free admission 4 hours prior to closure each Thursday.

www.smb.museum/smb/home/index.php?lang=en

German Guggenheim Museum on Unter den Linden (near Brandenburg Gate) has free admission on Mondays (all day).

http://www.deutsche-guggenheim.de/e/

Check this one - if still valid:

Any pass for public transportation is also good for the several ferries run by BVG, Berlin's Transit Authority. You will get a free 20 minute "cruise" across Lake Wannsee from S-Bahn station Wannsee to the other side of the lake, where you can take an express bus back to the city center.

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: family trip

Hi,

My family and I have been to Berlin on a number of occasions and the kids love it! As you have already pointed out the zoo is a fantastic place to take the kids - the playgrounds in there are as amazing as the animals! A great place to visit is Peugeout avenue is great as it has concept cars to look at! My kids really took in a lot of history at checkpoint charlie and seemed to enjoy the experience they are 6 and 10 year old boys.

In terms of eating, tie together a trip and a meal by visiting the revolving restaurant in the TV tower at Alexanderplatz. One thing I can guarantee is that there is LOADS to do and see in Berlin so have a great trip - we don't get to return until June!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,545 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: family trip

Five people can travel on a Kleingruppenkarte (small group card) for around 16€ for a day. This will work out cheaper than getting adult tickets for you and child tickets as individual tickets are expensive.

Some time back I did a TA Inside Page, as they were then called, on family travel which is subsumed somewhere in the "things to do" now I imagine. It suggested good routes for sightseeing, for views etc etc plus good museums, There are actually 2 zoos (one in the eastern part ofthe city too.

Stay in an apartmentrather than a hotel: cheaper, more flexibility and a sample of local life.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,545 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: family trip

Also, some museums esp. the state museums, don't charge kids aged under 16, though places like Checkpoint Charlie Museum do.

Note that for you (adults) the state museums allow free entry Thursday evenings only when no special exhibitions are being held. So the Pergamon Museum these days is generally not free and the Neues Museum which has just re-opened is also charging at all times.

10. Re: family trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2010, 05:17