We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concentration Camps

NYC
Level Contributor
178 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Concentration Camps

Hi

I will be staying close to Friedrichstraße station and wonder where and how to get to see the concentration camps... Thanks in advance for your replies.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,861 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Concentration Camps

gedenkstaette-sachsenhausen.de/gums/index.php

-> "Visitor service" section "How to reach us"

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concentration Camps

The nearest concentration camp in proximity to Berlin is Sachsenhausen, around 25km north of the city.

From Friedrichstraße S-Bahn station, take the S1 (northbound) to Oranienburg. From the station in Oranienburg, you can catch an onward bus, which I believe depart at a rate of around one per hour. Though unless you arrive just as the next bus is departing, you're probably better of walking to the concentration camp. It'll only take you around fifteen minutes to find your way on foot. Just follow the signs (Gedenkstätte Sachsenhausen).

Here are the directions:

From the train station in Oranienburg, walk north along Stralsunder Straße. When you reach the crossroads with Bernauer Straße, turn right. After around 1km, you'll reach another crossroads. Turn left into Straße der Einheit and after a further 750m or so turn right into Straße der Nationen. The memorial site of the Sachsenhausen concentration camp is at the end of the road.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concentration Camps

...and by the way, the Welcome Card is valid for travel to Oranienburg and on buses in Oranienburg. (I seem to remember you asking questions about its validity in an earlier post!)

NYC
Level Contributor
178 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concentration Camps

Thanks for your replies. I take it there are camps in Munich as well? I'll be in both Munich and Berlin and wouldn't mind visiting one in either city. Maybe i should put a post there as well.... :)

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concentration Camps

Put it there as well, but Dachau is close to Munich:

http://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concentration Camps

Our group went to Sachsenhausen on our visit in June. I always wanted to take young people to a concentration camp so that they could witness the absolute horrors of what man can do against man. It is a somber place that will make you think about a lot of things; things that aren't very pleasant. I highly recommend going and taking your time to try to visualize what actually went on there in a time that was not that long ago.

It's convenient to imagine that after WWII and those atrocities that we as a people would have learned a lesson, but after what happened in Serbia and that area just a few years ago proves otherwise.

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concentration Camps

I went to Dachau several years ago....I will never forget it.

WA
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Concentration Camps

"Concentration Camps" why visit those camps? Seen one seen them all. Germany has more to offer than "KZs". I have seen Bergen Belsen Gedenkstaette and that's enough.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concentration Camps

Well Atze, I'm glad you got the opportunity to go; it appears that you weren't very moved. That's fine.

But don't try to dissuade others who may want to go and experience possible the closest thing to hell that mankind has ever seen. I think every person on earth should visit and reflect about the horrors of war and what it can do as far as making otherwise civilized people become monsters.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,729 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Concentration Camps

Ach Atze, you're at it again, aren't you...? If you don't have anything constructive and helpful to say just don't say anything at all. Unfortunately concentration camps are part of German history and we have to live with it, there is no way around it. If visitors to Germany want to see everyone of them it is up to them.

VesperGirl, I am sure you will get all the information you need. I also hope that you will find a different Germany.