We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easr Side Gallery

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Easr Side Gallery

Could someone tell me the status of the East Side Gallery restoration. I have read that the repainting of the murals was supposed to be completed last Fall for the anniversary of the fall of the Wall. However, it is unclear if the schedule was met. Bottom line: are enough of the murals available to be seen so as to make the visit worthwhile?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,147 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Easr Side Gallery

The East Side Gallery was reopened on 6. November 2009. However not all paintings were repainted, some artists didn't want this.

Please note that the East Side Gallery is only the inner Wall. The Wall was actually a system of 2 walls. If you want to see how the Wall really looked, you have to visit the Berlin Wall Documentation Center at Bernauer Strasse.

berliner-mauer-gedenkstaette.de/index_e.html

troy mi
Level Contributor
904 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easr Side Gallery

was there a few weeks ago - plenty to see as it stretches out for quite a (walkable) distance

St Ives
Level Contributor
381 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easr Side Gallery

The refurbished gallery, although not as big/long as the original, is well worth seeing. This brief summary of the history of The Wall shows the current status of the East Side Gallery from about 4.10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZCwlKiiZrs

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easr Side Gallery

Thank you so much for the information and the You Tube link. I shall definitely see the East Side Gallery. More and more I am becoming convinced that this and other sites provide far better undrestanding of the Walll than Checkpoint Charlie (which appears to be little more than a tourist trap). Thank you again.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,061 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easr Side Gallery

Near Checkpoint Charlie you have the stretch of Berlin Wall on Niederkirchnerstrasse (by Topography of Terror).There you can see it in its unadorned weathered state.

At Bernauer Strasse you have a similar authentic weathered stretch and also a reconstruction of the Wall (with outer and "hinterland" wall and reconstructed death strip) all part of the memorial. You get an aerial view of that section from the viewing platform at (old) Bernauer Strassre Documentation Centre building.

Near the Chapel of Reconciliation you see photos of the area 1961-1989. Those bring it all home so vividly and without the Cold War era captions used in Checkpoint Charlie Museum.

To my mind the East Side Gallery reflects the euphoria when the Wall "came down" rather than an understanding of the harsh reality of the years before 1989.

if you go to Bernauer Strasse by S-Bahn, in Nordbahnhof station you can see an interesting exhibition on the U and S-Bahn system in the period of the Wall's existence.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easr Side Gallery

Lynda

Thank you for your excellent advice. My partner and I just spent six days in barcelona nd fell in love with that incredible city. I am looking forward to the Berlin trip as it has been twnety five years since I was last there.

Bill

7. Re: Easr Side Gallery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2010, 05:17