We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beer Hall in Berlin (anything similar to hofbrauhaus)

Toronto
Level Contributor
294 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beer Hall in Berlin (anything similar to hofbrauhaus)

I am wondering if you can give me some recommendations for really atmospheric beer halls in Berlin. Anything similar to Hofbrauhaus in Munich?Also, where can we get good traditional German food in a good atmosphere?

Best Seller
Berlin Bike Tour
585 Reviews
from US$37.90*
All-in-One Berlin Shore Excursion...
10 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Best Seller
Discover Berlin Half-Day Walking Tour
1,804 Reviews
from US$16.60*
berlin
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beer Hall in Berlin (anything similar to hofbrauhaus)

There are no beer halls at all (best or worst) in Berlin. It is a Bavarian thing. See my answer here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187323-i135-k3584…

See also my recommendations there for drinking beer in Berlin.

More sites to explore

http://www.xs4all.nl/~patto1ro/index.htm

http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/berlpubs.htm

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beer Hall in Berlin (anything similar to hofbrauhaus)

Lylou is right. If you're coming here expecting Lederhosen, oompha bands and Weisswurst, you're in the wrong city. Berlin is more black-clad, techno and industrial.

There are pockets of authentic local Gemütlichkeit, though. Aside from the beer gardens, brew-pubs and Kneipen mentioned in the thread Lylou refers you to, I might mention the Zur letzten Instanz, which claims to be the city's oldest Kneipe, dating back to 1621. Napoleon himself supposedly sat in the seat formed by their tiled oven. Aside from imbibing the local brew, you can eat Berlin specialties such as Eisbein (pigs knuckles) or Zander (pike-perch).

zurletzteninstanz.de/a_sprache_eng/index2.htm

Over in West Berlin, you might enjoy the Zillemarkt which is close to Savignyplatz S-Bahn station: http://www.zillemarkt.de/eng/indexe.php

Or the Weltrestaurant-Markthalle in Kreuzberg: weltrestaurant-markthalle.de/de/index.php…

Or the big pub on the grounds of the Kulturbrauerei in Prenzlauer Berg, a huge 19th century brewery complex which has been turned into a cultural and concert venue: kulturbrauerei-berlin.de/10.html…

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beer Hall in Berlin (anything similar to hofbrauhaus)

Great reading...we intend to visit a few of the places listed. But where to start :) I guess is part of the fun. As for the Hofbrauhaus in Munich, it was a quiet night when we visited and we thought the food was terrible. We hope we can find great "Berliner" food with draught beer to match. ??

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
448 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beer Hall in Berlin (anything similar to hofbrauhaus)

The night I went to Hofbrauhaus in Munich it was packed. As we entered the oompah-pah band was playing Take Me Home Country Roads, and everyone was singing along. It was my first exposure to Germany, and that all the German patrons knew the words blew me away. I didn't eat so I can't talk about the food, but the beer......ah, German beer! And don't miss Oktoberfest is you haven't experienced it - and the parade on the last day is a special event. As for Berlin, again you won't have trouble with the beer, but I couldn't find real "Berliner" food. Eating at Ka De We was fun but not what you are asking about.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beer Hall in Berlin (anything similar to hofbrauhaus)

In that posting I forgot to mention the Alt-Berliner Kaffeestube on Wolliner Strasse at the border between Mitte and Prenzlauer Berg (Tram stop Zionskirchplatz M1 or 12, also walkable from Rosenthaler Platz, Bernauer Strasse and Senefleder Platz U-Bahn stations). Old-fashioned absolutely non-touristy Berlin restaurant with all the local specialties, which was already renowned in East Berlin before the fall of the Wall.

6. Re: Best Beer Hall in Berlin (anything similar to hofbrauhaus)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2011, 05:15