We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please on Dresden for a day

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rishon Lezion...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please on Dresden for a day

We have almost a week in Berlin in mid June. If time allows, we are thinking of a day trip to Dresden by train. Recommendations? Is this feasible? We are early risers and can get a good jump on the day. Also is the same possible for Potsdam,and recommended? Thanks.

Germany
Level Contributor
319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please on Dresden for a day

It's 2 hours 16 minutes to Dresden on the direct train, so it's certainly feasible if you get an early start, but you'll be on the train for 4.5 hours total so it will be a long day.

Potsdam is much closer, from the main train station for instance only 26 minutes with an RE train and 40 minutes by S Bahn. I've probably been to Berlin 15 times and it never occurred to me to go there but it's probably nice enough. Others can advise you better on this.

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please on Dresden for a day

Potsdam and Dresden on the same day is certainly not feasible. Both cities require *at least* half a day.

If the choice is between the two, I would choose Potsdam. If you have time for both (two days for excursions outside Berlin), I would definitely consider Dresden, which is a great place to visit.

Insider Tour offer a bus tour to Dresden, which might be more comfortable than changing trains, etc.:

insidertour.com/tours.php/…Tourdetails

Rishon Lezion...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please on Dresden for a day

We will definitely will look into the bus tour to Dresden if we decide to go....it might just be the easiest. We were not intending to do Potsdam and Dresden on the same day. I guess I wasn't clear. Anyway, thanks very much for your advice. We will surely do one or the other, and perhaps both....but not on the same day!

St Ives
Level Contributor
383 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please on Dresden for a day

Hi June

I only had 3 hours in Dresden but absolutely loved it. In case it's any help with your planning this gives a bit of detail about the infamous 1945 bombing raid and how the city has been rebuilt and restored :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry9Imm47Xus

Potsdam's great too. I only had time for a look around Sans Souci Park and Palace http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFrItw_WnqI but there seemed to be enough there to justify a full day visit.

Rishon Lezion...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please on Dresden for a day

Thanks so much. Everyone seems to be saying the same about both places. We'll try to work it out, and figure out what to do in both places, and when to go.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
976 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please on Dresden for a day

Hi

If you do go to Potsdam, an easy way is to join a tour...

www.kaiser-tour.de\

It takes 2.5 hours, with a good commentary. Historic places etc. It was 12.00 pm and 1.00 pm only in 2008 when I did it.

So, Take the S Bahn to Potsdam Station. The tour starts there.

This day for you doesn't have to be "crowded". You could comfortably fit in more of Berlin or a stroll thru Potsdam Village and markets.

Have fun

DCtheKiwi

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice please on Dresden for a day

We did a day trip to Dresden from Berlin last November and it was easy. We do not mind the train ride as it gives us a chance to read and enjoy the scenery and we are usually going full speed when not sitting on a train :-)

We left at 8 and were there a few minutes after 10. We took the 5pm train back to Berlin.

We enjoyed our day and found a delightful little wine bar on a back street where we had a lovely lunch and bottle of wine and also purchased some to take back to Berlin with us.

We did not have a plan to see particular sights in Dresden, rather we walked everywhere exploring what caught our interest.

This year we are headed back to Berlin and will visit either Leipzig or Potsdam as a day trip.

Rishon Lezion...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice please on Dresden for a day

This sounds perfect for us. Hopefully going on a Friday won't be a problem, as that is probably the day we would do it. What about Potsdam for a day....we would be able to do that on a Saturday, but have a flight back home late that night. Thanks for your input....you really helped.

Rishon Lezion...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice please on Dresden for a day

Am definitely going to look into the site you gave me for Potsdam tour.....We would need to go early and be back not too late that day, as we will be flying back home late the same night. Thanks so much.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice please on Dresden for a day

Yes, take the trains like caviargal did. There is another train back to Berlin at 7pm.

Friday is a good day for visiting Dresden. All the museums will be open in case you're interested. Just make sure the Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady) is open and they don't have any rehearsals scheduled or so. You can check their schedule of events here:

www.frauenkirche-dresden.de (Click on "English")

"Offene Kirche" means the church is open for sightseeing.