We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim card good in Germany & Czech Reupblic

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sim card good in Germany & Czech Reupblic

I have read lots of answers here and have gone to the blauworld.de site and it seems that a blauworld card bought in Germany can't be used in Prague. Am I understanding this correctly? CR is not in their list of countries. Does anyone know of a card that can be used in both just to call local businesses?

Thanks

Florida's west coast
Level Contributor
380 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim card good in Germany & Czech Reupblic

have a look at ustronics.com. Its a US site that sells (and I think rents as well) unlocked GSM cell phones that work in Europe as well as here (a standard US cell will not). They also sell sims for various parts of the world.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,173 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim card good in Germany & Czech Reupblic

Stay away from any of these outfits advertising on the internet that rent cell phones with SIM cards that can be used in multiple countries. They slaughter you on the up-front costs and the calling charges.

Just get an unlocked quad or triband GSM cellphone that works on the 900/1800 bands. If you don't have one, you can buy one here at an electronics discounter like Saturn or Media Markt for 30 euros. Then you own a phone you can use in future trips any 900/1800 country (most of the world except US and Canada).

Don't stress about having a SIM card you can use in both Germany and Czech Republic. Just get local SIMs in both places. I don't know about Czech Republic, but SIM cards here are almost free of charge - that is you pay something like €15 up front, but you get almost an equal value in calling credit. (Aldi: €12.99 with €10 credit, calls cost 11 cents a minute - for example.) You can get one at any phone shop or electronics discounter and in grocery discounters like Aldi and Lidl and in coffee shops like Tschibo. Little phone shops that cater to immigrants are the best bet.

CT
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim card good in Germany & Czech Reupblic

Thanks so much, Bill. I checked w/my server and my phone will work in both countries so I will buy a SIM in each country now that I know how easy and cheap it is to get them.

Florida's west coast
Level Contributor
380 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim card good in Germany & Czech Reupblic

While I agree with the idea that buying an unlocked phone is better than renting I'd also note that as with my old unlocked Motorola GSM cell phone (bought years ago at the site I mentioned) it is useable in the US and Canada since it is tri-band, thus operating on all three frequencies. I have a sim for here and another German one for Europe. The nice thing about my German one is that the minutes never expire and you do not (normally) get charged for incoming calls. In the US you do.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,692 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim card good in Germany & Czech Reupblic

OP's phone is most likely SIM-locked and can't use any local SIMs.

To check roaming capability: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/germany.html

Edited: 17 August 2010, 19:33
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,692 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim card good in Germany & Czech Reupblic

It is explicitly stated that blau can roam in Czech Republic . "Tschechische Republik"

blauworld.de/cms/…blauworld_roaming.pdf

Their roaming partners there are T-Mobile, Telefonica O2and Vodafone.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,173 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sim card good in Germany & Czech Reupblic

As I said, you can get an unlocked phone here cheap. Or you can get your own phone unlocked (sometimes your home provider will do it - or a phone shop over here can do it, easy enough). Or buy an unlocked one on eBay before you leave if you prefer.

London, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sim card good in Germany & Czech Reupblic

Anyone had any experience with a TravellingPhone roaming sim card that offers free incoming calls in about 70 countries?

I have been offered one to use whilst travelling abroad.

-----------

Free Roaming Countries

There are no roaming charges for the following countries. Make huge savings while abroad on holiday or business trip.

Algeria

Angola

Australia

Austria

Bahrain

Bolivia

Bosnia And Herzegovina

Brunei Darussalam

Burundi

Chad

Costa Rica

Croatia

Cyprus

Egypt

Estonia

Finland

France

Georgia

Germany

Greece

Guatemala

Hungary

Iran

Iraq

Ireland

Israel

Italy

Japan

Jordan

Kenya

Korea South

Latvia

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Malawi

Malta

Monaco

Mongolia

Montserrat

Netherlands

Netherlands Antilles

Nigeria

Norway

Poland

Portugal

Puerto Rico

Russian Federation

Saudi Arabia

Slovakia

South Africa

Spain

Sweden

Tanzania

Trinidad And Tobago

Turkey

Turkmenistan

Uganda

Ukraine

United Kingdom

USA

Vatican City

Venezuela

Viet Nam

Virgin Islands (U.S.)

Yemen

Zambia

9. Re: Sim card good in Germany & Czech Reupblic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2011, 05:18