We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best ( or better ;) ) solution?

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
447 reviews
Save Topic
Best ( or better ;) ) solution?

I've been spending a lot of time looking for an accomodation for a 4 night stay in Berlin in December - such a big offer! As I've already said in another post we are 2 60yr old couples.

Appartements cost much less. Has anyone rented with www.holiday-rentals.co.uk ? Are they liable?

There are some interesting solutions in

1) Berlin-Mitte (Wedding, Tiergarten) Kielganstrasse

2) Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf, Otto-Suhr- Allee or Geisbergstrasse or Ravensbergerstrasse

Are these places too far out?

I've also taken a look at some hotels well reviewed by TA like Hotel Pension Bregenz, The Circus Hotel, Adina App Hotel Berlin Hautbahnhof, Best Western Kanthotel, Adagio Hotel... I'm in a loop!!! Can anyone get me out giving their personal experience? I hope you understand what we're looking for. Due to age and weather we don't want to be too far from things - I know Berlin is very big and has good transport but we'd like to be near at least one interesting part. Nor do we want expensive business man-hotels. We'd like a nice cosy clean and quiet accomodation. We have an eye on budget but we are perfectly aware that low prices often hide a problem and that's what we want to avoid even it means spending more.

Thanks for your help!!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best ( or better ;) ) solution?

I cannot help with apartments as we book hotels.

I have stayed three times in Mitte and it is wonderfully convenient. Last year in late November (and next trip same time this year) we were at the Melia Berlin which is ideally located for both the surroundings and the transport options of S Bahn and U Bahn within a block. We got an excellent pre pay rate of under 100 Euros this year and last, but book well in advance.

Circus Hotel gets solid reviews.

I would not want to be right at Hautbahnhof as there is not a lot in the immediate surroundings though you can certainly get anywhere fast and easy.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,796 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best ( or better ;) ) solution?

In your earlier post I described an apartment we rented in Mitte which was easily the best accommodation we had in six weeks in Europe. It was clean and well furnished and very central, being about a two minute walk from the Heinrich-Heine Strasse exit of the U-bahn, with restaurants and grocery stores nearby. It had a main bedroom with a double bed and a second bedroom with a single bed and a couch that would fold out to a double, as well as a couch in the living room that was comfy for sleeping. If you didn't want to share the owner had two other apartments in the same building. This one was on the tenth floor, and as the lift only goes to the third, sixth and ninth floors there's a flight of stairs to negotiate (not difficult) but one of the other apartments is on the ninth floor so no stairs. The owner is a lovely lady, who came out in the rain to find us when we got a bit lost looking for the building. I have no hesitation in recommending this apartment.

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best ( or better ;) ) solution?

Thanks for your answers!

Yorkfoodie I looked up the appartement you suggested because of your positive feedback. It looks nice and is central. The problem is - you may say we're fussy! - we wanted 2 bedrooms with regular double beds, not fold up coaches nor 140 large beds. This is the reason why we're starting to consider hotels and B&Bs.

Bye :)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,796 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best ( or better ;) ) solution?

Fair enough. Hope you find something you like.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
978 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best ( or better ;) ) solution?

Hi

Have a look at this place. I have stayed here.

http://www.pension-rotdorn.de/engl/index.html

Some reviews here….

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

It is a converted building so you have a variety of room types.

You may make am email enquiry.

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best ( or better ;) ) solution?

Hmm! Looks nice.

I'll show it to the other couple.

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
267 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best ( or better ;) ) solution?

I've used holiday-rentals several time and have always had fantastic apartments and service.

London, UK
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best ( or better ;) ) solution?

If this reply is not too late, I would suggest you try Urban Apartments http://www.urban-apartments.com/berlin They have a wide choice of excellent apartments, many of which would meet your requirements, in the areas of Mitte, Kreuzberg and Prenzlauerberg. We stayed in one for two weeks in September, five minutes walk from Museum Island.

I hope you'll find something you like.

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best ( or better ;) ) solution?

I hadn't seen this one. Thanks, I'll take a look.

Bye :)

10. Re: Best ( or better ;) ) solution?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2011, 05:16