We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Berlin

Chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Berlin

My family will be in Berlin over Christmas and are looking for restaurants that will be open Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We would like to eat at a German restaurant that would be mid-range or above. We are interested in good food and a nice atmosphere. We will be staying near Savignyplatz but are willing to travel. Any suggstions about specific Christkindl Markts to visit or other holiday events would be appreciated.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Berlin

As I usually spend the holidays with our families I'm not sure which restaurants are open on Christmas Eve. Maybe you'll find some ideas on www.kulinarischer-winterzauber.de/index.php

Berlin has quite a few Christmas markets all over the city, bigger ones as well as smaller ones. My favourite ones are the one on Gendarmenmarkt and the one at the Schloß Charlottenburg.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,953 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Berlin

"Traditional German" and "open on Christmas Eve" do not go together. Germans do not eat out on Christmas Eve. It is a family holiday. Even restaurant owners celebrate Christmas with their families. Expect all German restaurants to be closed. The big hotel restaurants will be your best, if not only bet - or the Döner stalls, which are very typical for Berlin but not what you are thinking of;-)

On Christmas Day some restaurants are open but most of these offer special menus which require prebooking.

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Berlin

To add to Bladdine's comments:

As mentioned before, your best shot for both Christmas Eve (24th) and Christmas (25th) is either restaurants in hotels, or non-German restaurants (not only Turkish, also many Vietnamese restaurants are open. The trick is to find minorities who are either not Christian or don't care much for religion - I would imagine that also many Indian or Thai restaurants would be open).

As for hotels, the HIlton has a very good German/regional style restaurant - the Mark Brandenburg - although I am not sure if their price level, especially for a fixed menu Christmas meal, would fit your budget. Ganymed Brasserie was also open on Christmas (I think, at least on Christmas day, even if not on Christmas Eve) and is mid-range priced:

http://www.ganymed-brasserie.de/

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Berlin

Ganymed should be open on the 24th, I have eaten there twice for Christmas Eve,first time was very good second time wasn't.

There is a tapas restaurant on Savigny Platz that should also be open that night. Other options are the overpriced and usually stuffy hotel dinners.

Dressler on the Ku'damm is open on 25th and 26th, it is a upmarket French style brasserie but also serves some festive German dishes like goose

Chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Berlin

Thanks for all your suggestions. We have reservations for Reinstoff on Christmas Eve (a very modern German restaurant) and Marjellchen (old style Prussian restaurant) on Christmas Day. They should be quite a contrast. If anyone has eaten at either of these restaurants, I would like to hear your comments.

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Berlin

Hi SusieQ, I've just done some research on Marjellchen - looks like lots of fun. May be we will see you there on Christmas Day! How did you contact them? I've been on their website. I can't find an email address for them, only phone and fax. Look forward to your reply, Cheers Sharyn

Chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Berlin

Hi Sharyn,

We couldn't find a way to email them so my husband called them and made the reservation. He started the conversation in German but then they asked him if he spoke English and they spoke in English. Hope to see you there. We have walked by the place a number of times when we have stayed at the Hotel Art Nouveau and it looks like a cosy welcoming place.

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in Berlin

Hi SusieQ, thank you so much for your prompt response. I will give them a call, hope to meet you there. All the best, Sharyn

Chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in Berlin

Sharyn,

Shall I wear a red rose so you know who I am??? Kidding of course. We are eating at 7 pm since we fly out the next morning. Cheers.

Sue

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas in Berlin

Hi Sue, hoping to be able to book in for lunch, if not may well see you for dinner! I'll be wearing a sprig of holly - lol. Cheers Sharyn