We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airport to fly into?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
13,054 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Best airport to fly into?

Hi All,

I am thinking of visiting Berlin in November 2011 and trying to decide which is the best airport to fly into.

I understand Tegal is closest to the city centre compared with Schonefield. However, Tegal may close in 2011 & Schonefield is going to be expanded and re-named Berlin Brandenburg International. Is this going to happen by November 2011?

It appears Tegal is the best airport to fly into, provided it is open of course. Please confirm. Many thanks.

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda.

Happy New Year.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,468 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airport to fly into?

Tegel has buses that will take you into the city center, and you can buy your ticket from the bus driver without standing in a possibly long line to get one elsewhere. It was very convenient for us as there was a bus stop at the corner by our hotel in Charlottenburg. It probably depends on where your hotel is as to how convenient this airport is. I can't help you with the airport closure.

Mentioned in this post
Tegel Airport
Tegel Airport
Berlin, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,340 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airport to fly into?

> Is this going to happen by November 2011?

No. Rather mid 2012.

> I understand Tegal is closest to the city centre compared with Schonefield.

Yes, but Schönefeld Airport is connected by train with the city center, while from Tegel Airport you have only buses. In the end it will depend where exactly you will stay in Berlin. But generally the differences between the travel time and the tickets for public transport (from Tegel EUR 2,30 from Schönefeld EUR 3,00) between both airports is so small, that I would not base the decision which airport to fly in on them. Rather where you can get the best flight to (time and price wise).

Mentioned in this post
Tegel Airport
Tegel Airport
Berlin, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,054 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airport to fly into?

Thanks both.

Have not decided on a hotel but will probably stay in the centre of Berlin close to the main attractions. Hope to pre-book a private taxi from the airport. It appears this will be cheaper from Tegel, please correct me if I am wrong. According to my guidebook, a taxi from Tegel is approximately €15, is this correct? If you have any recommendations for a good taxi / private transfer from Tegel let me know.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Tegel Airport
Tegel Airport
Berlin, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,340 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airport to fly into?

> stay in the centre of Berlin close to the main attractions

Berlin is a huge city without a single city center. Most sights are in the district Mitte.

> Hope to pre-book a private taxi from the airport.

That's not common in Germany. You just hop here in the first taxi of the queue at the taxi booths.

> According to my guidebook, a taxi from Tegel is approximately €15, is this correct?

Taxis are metered. Thus the with the shorter distance from Tegel it will be cheaper from there. Albeit €15 may get you only to the closest parts of central Berlin.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Mitte
Mitte
1,516 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Tegel Airport
Tegel Airport
Berlin, Germany
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,054 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airport to fly into?

Thanks, very useful.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,672 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airport to fly into?

There's absolutely no need to pre-book a private transfer. Berlin's metered taxis are (mostly) brand-new Daimlers or similar and taxi scams are almost unheard-of. As mentioned above, there are always plenty of taxis available at both airports.

That being said, you could save yourself some cash by using the excellent public transportation. In particular, if you land at Schönefeld, take the train to the station nearest your hotel and then grab a taxi if you need to.

Drake, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best airport to fly into?

To investigate public transportation options, which are numerous and wonderful, google "BVG" and check out the Berlin public transportation site. You can even enter the start and end point of your trip, and they will list all the options (bus, subway (U-Bahn), and trolley (S-Bahn). The site is in English; most stations/busses also have folks you can help you out in English, too.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,600 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best airport to fly into?

Which airport you arrive at is pretty irrelevant as far as public transport to city centre is concerned. Taxi to Mitte likely to be around 20€ from Tegel (your guidebook is a bit low with 15€) and nearer 40€ from Schönefeld, although unless you land at SXF late at night it's not really worth paying that as train is good and quick.

But I'd have thought that it was more important for you which deprture airport is better, best time, cheapest flight etc. That's certainly what determines which airport in Berlin I'll land at (sometimes one, sometimes the other). Airberlin and major carriers mainly fly toTegel (TXL) and mainly budget carriers incl. Easyjet and Ryanair to SXF

Edited: 03 January 2011, 08:21
Mentioned in this post
Mitte
Mitte
1,516 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Tegel Airport
Tegel Airport
Berlin, Germany
Berlin Schonefeld Airport
Berlin Schonefeld Airport
Schonefeld, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,054 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best airport to fly into?

Thanks Both. I think we are going to fly into Tegal with British Airways. Heathrow is not as convenient as a local airport but the flight times are much better, price very reasonable & I would rather fly with BA compared to a low cost airline. We are looking at booking our flights & accommodation with BA holidays. There is a excellent deal at the Adlon Kempinski hotel which looks a fantastic hotel in a great location. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Adlon Kempinski
Hotel Adlon Kempinski
3,907 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
10. Re: Best airport to fly into?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2011, 05:18