We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mainz, Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam--how much time?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Mainz, Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam--how much time?

We are planning a visit to see friends in Mainz (outside Frankfurt) and Berlin in August, and adding Prague and Amsterdam to our almost 3 week trip. Our Mainz friends have recommended Prague to us and we can only get return frequent flyer seats back from Amsterdam. There are cheap EasyJet seats from Prague to Amsterdam so we are OK with that. We have visited our Mainz friends before and may go with them to Strausburg on the border in France while we are there. What we are trying to figure out (so we can book those cheap EasyJet seats and cheap advance purchase train tickets from Berlin to Prague) is how much time to allocate to see the sites in Berlin, Prague and Amsterdam. We haven't been to any of these cities before. Can you help us? Also, any suggestions for non-city "musts" to do--we will get tired of cities and museums after a while on this trip. We like birding, nature, etc. Thanks.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,366 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mainz, Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam--how much time?

Mainz - Prague - Berlin - Amsterdam would be the most logical route.

Scenic areas are e.g. the Middle Rhine Valley close to Mainz.

http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/

and Saxony Switzerland south of Dresden (on the Prague to Berlin route)

saechsische-schweiz.de/start/click.system…

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mainz, Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam--how much time?

Thanks. It seemed less expensive to travel Mainz-Berlin-Prague-Amsterdam. The cheapest airfare that I found between Frankfurt and Prague was $200 whereas we can get to Amsterdam from Berlin on EastJet for about $120 including tax and luggage for BOTH of us, and from Berlin to Amsterdam for 29-39 euros per person on the train. Perhaps you know of less expensive options?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,366 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mainz, Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam--how much time?

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Prague

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mainz, Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam--how much time?

"What we are trying to figure out (so we can book those cheap EasyJet seats and cheap advance purchase train tickets from Berlin to Prague) is how much time to allocate to see the sites in Berlin, Prague and Amsterdam."

Prague and Amsterdam are both nice cities, but both are smaller than Berlin and neither has attractions or museums to match Berlin's. If you have two weeks to work with, after your visit with your friends in Mainz, I'd suggest you spend a week in Berlin (with possible side trips to Potsdam and Dresden, and/or Sachsenhausen if you are interested) and divide the second week between Prague and Amsterdam.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mainz, Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam--how much time?

You can do Dresden and Saxon Switzerland are en route from Berlin to Prague as Abalada mentioned, Potsdam is a must from Berlin itself (30 mins by train).

Are you spending a week with the friends in Mainz? If not and you have two and a half-weeks for your trip then I'd say spend about a week Berlin + Dresden and rather more days in Amsterdam than Prague. While Amsterdam is smalller than Berlin I'd say it's still got lots of interesting museums; with Prague it's particularly the variety of the architecture that grabs you. And from Amsterdam you could do a day-trip eg to Delft

.We actually did Delft and Leiden burt Delft is the winner.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mainz, Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam--how much time?

Hi--Thanks for your most recent post. We took Alabastron's suggestion to divide the last week between Prague and Amsterdam and have booked our Easyjet flight to Amsterdam from Prague for 3 nites since it looks like Amsterdam is more expensive than Prague. I love markets so hopefully didn't cut our time in Amsterdam too short.

Lynda-we will probably spend 5-7 days with our friends in Mainz before heading to Berlin.

We were thinking 4 nites in Prague. Does that seem too much? Lynda-sounds like you like Amsterdam more than Prague?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mainz, Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam--how much time?

Not at all, I love them both! Prague is wonderful to wander round, with the variety of architecture and the different perspectives with its being built on hills However I do think that there are more varied museums in Amsterdam than in Prague (but Amsterdam is flat and architecturally less varied so it also depends on your interests obviously).

I have spent a week in each city staying in anapartment with my family, in Prague (2000) our son was 7 but we still did several museums and art galleries, and walked miles. In Amsterdam he was 15 and we did more museums (we bought the annual museum card and made very good use of it!). They were mainly historical museums in different guises.

I was in Prague again last Easter with a school group and reminded about how pretty Prague is, but my comment on the museums would stand.

Istanbul, Turkey
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Mainz, Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam--how much time?

what is the cheapest way to go to mainz/frankfurt to berlin?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mainz, Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam--how much time?

If you like to do something else than just visiting the cities I can recommend the following

- Berlin: visit Spreewald, large national park, suitable for hiking, canoeing, biking

-Prague: visit Bohemian forest and a spa/ thermen town

-Amsterdam: do a bicyle trip in the green heart of Holland, or on National park the Veluwe. Rent a (small boat) for a day in Broek in Waterland or the Biesbosch.

10. Re: Mainz, Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam--how much time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 14:16