We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

separate airport arrivals

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
separate airport arrivals

If our planes on time, we will be arriving the separate airports within 30-45 min of each other. Plan is to go directly into Berlin and meet up; do both the Tegel bus and the Schonefeld train arrive at the Berlin HBF train station?

Thanks, t

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,818 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: separate airport arrivals

Yes. The JetExpress Bus TXL from Tegel and the regional trains from Schönefeld go both to Berlin Hauptbahnhof (Hbf) station.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,239 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: separate airport arrivals

...But make sure you familiarise yourself with the Hauptbahnhof and decide where, exactly, to meet. The station is HUGE, ENORMOUS, GIGANTIC, and on several levels. No words are big enough to describe it - or how easy it is to get lost or confused in it.

Seriously. Check. I don't know if this link provides any useful information about meeting places - I don't have time to peruse it. If it doesn't, I'm sure someone else can tell you where to go to be sure of meeting someone.

berlin-hauptbahnhof.de/site/…start.html

Edited: 03 March 2011, 18:46
Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: separate airport arrivals

thanks Alabastron! infor very much appreciated.

Will work to pin it down

T

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,239 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: separate airport arrivals

That's a pleasure, Tricia. I was speaking from experience: after visiting the Hamburger Bahnhof (the modern art museum nearby) we spent a good half hour searching the various levels for the U-bahn we wanted. I'm sure the station is easy to negotiate once you know how it works and know your way around, but for two parties trying to meet there on a first-time visit ...

Here's another idea. This link gives the names of all the cafes and shops in the Hauptbahnhof: …barwick.de/sights/…hauptbahnhof.html

Best thing might be to find Starbucks, or another cafe, where whoever arrives first can sit and wait.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,239 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: separate airport arrivals

Another thought.

It isn't clear from your post if you are meeting at Hauptbahnhof because you and your friends are taking a train to somewhere other than Berlin; or if you are all staying in Berlin.

If you are staying in Berlin, and if you're all staying at the same accommodation, mightn't it be more convenient to meet elsewhere, nearer to where you are staying? For example, both the TXL bus from Tegel and the Airport Express from Schoenefeld both stop at Alexanderplatz. There is another bus from Tegel, the X9, that stops at Bahnhof Zoo, where the Airport Express from Schoenefeld also stops.

There is more information here:

suite101.com/content/transportation-to-berli…

and here:

european-traveler.com/germany/…

I hope I'm not confusing the issue! It just occurred to me that there is no point in your meeting at the huge and confusing Hauptbahnhof if you don't have to: if you're not taking a train from there to somewhere else, or it you're not staying near there.

Edited: 04 March 2011, 10:46
Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: separate airport arrivals

thank you.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: separate airport arrivals

the thought of meeting at the train station was sort of a compromise since other traveler actually wants one to taxi to the other airport to meet up, so train station was the thought. Both travelers, first time in Eastern Europe and alone in city that just seems a little daunting. Another city more familiar with would not be an issue. Will have to give this a lot more thought.

T

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,239 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: separate airport arrivals

I see from your other thread that your plan is to go straight on to Prague. In that case, meeting at the Hauptbahnhof is sensible, and choosing a cafe to meet at is probably the best way of ensuring you all get to the right meeting place. There's absolutely no point in one party going to the other party's airport: it would only waste a lot of time and you'd all have to get back to the station anyway.

9. Re: separate airport arrivals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 16:17