We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for first time visit please.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
374 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for first time visit please.

Hello,

I'm planning to take my husband to Berlin in early January for 2 nights for a special birthdays celebration. Flight times work in well for work and school holidays (granny is babysitting our 9 year old) and would like to know how best to spend our time. With our flight times we arrive at lunchtime on Friday January 6th and fly home on

Sunday early evening onf 8th January. My husband is quite interested in the military history of Berlin and would like to visit things associated with it. I'm quite happy with that too but am also interested in the food and drink side of things. I'm not too bothered about "shopping" and both of us are not interested in "clubbing" though quite like to people watch..Can anyone suggest an ideal itinery , suggestions , hotels or areas that would interest us ? many thanks in advance ,

Nicola

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for first time visit please.

Berlin has way too much to offer for just 2 days, but it is a start. Of course January can be bitter cold. For hotels, I go to Priceline and bid low for a top hotel and get lots of value for little money. But not a great deal of charm. There are MANY good hotels in Berlin, in all sections, at reasonable prices. If money is no object, then the Adlon is #1. The same owner has a less expensive but excellent hotel in the west - The Bristol. For history, start with the Deutsches Historisches Museum on Unter den Linden. It's a terrific overview. And it is within a 5 minute walk from many of the other top Berlin museums. Since it will be cold, a nice thing to do indoors is the food floor at KaDeWe, the big department store. I think it's better than Harrods. You can eat great food and rub sholders at the many food bars with local Berliners. There's a WWII bunker that has been turned into a private home and art museum. It's seldom open and requires a reservation, but just walking by is interesting. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for first time visit please.

You might want to go visit a museum or 2 your first aftenoon in Berlin and then next morning, go on a 3rd Reich walking tour. There are several companies offering this kind of themed tour. Even if you aren't a big history buff, you may still really enjoy this kind of tour.

3. Re: Tips for first time visit please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 01:16