We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a City Tour Card at Tegel and getting it validated.

Bromsgrove
Level Contributor
101 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a City Tour Card at Tegel and getting it validated.

Hi there!

Needing public transport around Berlin from 18:00 on a Friday until 16:00 on a Sunday, I think I'm happy with my choice of a 48 hour City Tour Card (AB zones). I'd be grateful if anyone would answer some questions I have:

Where can I buy the card at Tegel Airport; I assume bus drivers don't sell this travel pass?

If the card is available at the airport ticket machines, will I still get the map with it and can I select the English map version?

Other than the map, what does the City Tour Card look like; I'm guessing a credit card sized piece of card?

How is the travel card first 'validated' on a bus; do I insert in to a machine or give to the driver?

How is the card used to travel on buses afterwards; show to driver, insert in to machine again?

Thanks in anticipation of your replies!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,176 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a City Tour Card at Tegel and getting it validated.

> Where can I buy the card at Tegel Airport; I assume bus drivers don't sell this travel pass?

BVG service point which is close to the exit of the main terminal building.

> If the card is available at the airport ticket machines, will I still get the map with it and can I select the English map version?

You would just get a ticket and would have to collect the booklet with the vouchers and map later from a BVG or S-Bahn Berlin counter.

> Other than the map, what does the City Tour Card look like; I'm guessing a credit card sized piece of card?

I only bought once a Berlin WelcomeCard. A booklet with vouchers, a map to fold out and the actual ticket which had to be separated from the booklet.

> How is the travel card first 'validated' on a bus; do I insert in to a machine or give to the driver?

There are ticket validators. Small yellow boxes.

…bplaced.net/deutschland-a-h/bvg-vbb-u-bahn-…

They can be found inside the buses. But there are also some next to the ticket machines.

> How is the card used to travel on buses afterwards; show to driver,

Yes.

> insert in to machine again?

No. Never. A ticket with more than one stamp becomes void.

Bromsgrove
Level Contributor
101 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a City Tour Card at Tegel and getting it validated.

Thanks abalada! Your reply has everything I needed to know; brilliant!

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a City Tour Card at Tegel and getting it validated.

thanks for the pic. I will need to validate a week pass.

I know they check the tickets on the ubahn. Had a guy come on last time asking, he was quite nice, assumed I was a tourist but I did have the pass and it was validated

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a City Tour Card at Tegel and getting it validated.

I suppose the same applies to Welcome card as well, right?

And the procedure for first validation is the same for all other transport means ie S-Bahn, U-Bahn, do I understand it correct?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,176 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a City Tour Card at Tegel and getting it validated.

> I suppose the same applies to Welcome card as well, right?

Yes.

> And the procedure for first validation is the same for all other transport means ie S-Bahn, U-Bahn, do I understand it correct?

Basically yes. You just have to validate the ticket before using them the first time. No matter if this will be on a bus or S-Bahn or U-Bahn (or tram).

There are normally validators next to the ticket machines. But the S-Bahn and U-Bahn trains have no ticket validators on board. And you must not board them without a valid ticket. There are also ticket validators either on the platforms or at the stairs/escalators down/up to the platforms.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a City Tour Card at Tegel and getting it validated.

Many thanks for the useful information!

Grand Prairie, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a City Tour Card at Tegel and getting it validated.

Is there a long line at Tegel to get the cards? I'll be there between 11-12 on a Friday.

Thanks

Bromsgrove
Level Contributor
101 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying a City Tour Card at Tegel and getting it validated.

aace_2001 asks an interesting question.

I will be arriving at Tegel airport on Friday 24th June at 18:00. With only 48 hours in the city I don't want to spend 15 minutes in line at the BVG ticket office. The travel cards are available at ticket machines but then I won't have the map and discount vouchers without queuing at a travel centre.

I am considering buying the City Tour Cards in advance on line for a €4 delivery charge so we can get out of the airport as soon as possible.

9. Re: Buying a City Tour Card at Tegel and getting it validated.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 15:16