We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for old underground pre-wall East Berlin bars

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
334 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for old underground pre-wall East Berlin bars

Do you know any good bars in East Berlin that are throwbacks from pre-wall days? My boyfriend was there about 5 years ago and was raving about some of these old "hidden" bars in east berlin that were just old, underground/cellar-like, candlelit, etc., but he can't remember where they were specifically and we can't find anything about them online. Somewhere near Hackeschor markt he thinks. Any of these still around?

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,327 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for old underground pre-wall East Berlin bars

I'm no expert, but I think there are a few 'old style' Kneipen in Prenzlauer Berg (Willy Bresch, Danzigerstr, Bornholmer Hütte, Bornholmerstr ) and some in Friedrichshain, but I think quite a few of the 'oldie' places are actually 'Ostalgie' (nostalgia for the GDR days), with appropriate old posters, street signs and things. I am sure there are experts on here who can give you better advice, but this might help for a start.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,327 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for old underground pre-wall East Berlin bars

This place is a reincarnation of a place I used to go at the top of Oranienburgerstraße, which 'may' have been a genuine old GDR Kneipe, but either way, it was a pretty cool little pub. I haven't been to the newer place, but will do this weekend and i will report back.

qype.co.uk/place/377578-Verkehrsberuhigte-Os…

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for old underground pre-wall East Berlin bars

Yes there are some close to Hackescher Markt! I went on a pubcrawl with Indsider tours a week ago, and the first stop was a bar like the one you described.

Would highly reccomend you to go on a pubcrawl, you get to see lots of cool places and get many ideas on where to go out, plus meet new people. it only cost 12 Euro, so you can just leave early if you dont like it. I am not working for the company or anything, I just had a great time LOL.

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
599 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for old underground pre-wall East Berlin bars

Please state the name of the company you used for the pub crawl. Thanks.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,327 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for old underground pre-wall East Berlin bars

This is probably what you want

yougodo.com/en/Original-Insiders-Pub-Crawl-B…

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for old underground pre-wall East Berlin bars

Thats right, Pericoloso, thanks! I did write the name Berniez, Insider Tours ;)

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,327 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for old underground pre-wall East Berlin bars

I sought out the 'new version' of the Verkehrsberuhigte Ostzone last Sunday evening and it brought back some happy memories. They had to move because the lease expired and the new owner increased the rent considerably.

They still have all the old DDR memorabilia - street signs, half a Trabi, posters etc and 0,5l of Berliner Pilsener for €2,50.

Had a long chat with the Wirt - good guy.

Will definitely go back next time I am in the big B.

8. Re: Looking for old underground pre-wall East Berlin bars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 04:16