We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin to Dresden

glendale
Level Contributor
267 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin to Dresden

I am flying into Berlin from St. Petersburg, Russia on Air Berlin. What is the best way to get to Dresden for 2 days. Rent a car and drive (have to pay to park car) or a train to Dresden? If train, what is best way from airport? Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,400 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin to Dresden

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: TXL

Start: SXF

Destination: Dresden Hbf

There are also buses from Schönedfeld Airport (SXF) to Dresden Hbf.

https://www.berlinlinienbus.de/index.php…

To: Dresden

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin to Dresden

If you are flying into Schoenefeld, there's a bus (the SXF-1, if I remember correctly) that goes to the Sudkreuz train station. The trains to Dresden stop there, so it saves you going all the way into the main train station. It is a much smaller station too, so it saves a lot of potential confusion in the main station (Berlin hauptbahnhof).

glendale
Level Contributor
267 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin to Dresden

I am a little confused. I am arriving at TXL airport. Does this mean there is a train leaving directly from the airport to Dresden? If so, how much time should I allow between potential landing time of 7:30 to train departure, to be safe that I won'r miss it. Or, are there so many available seats/departures, I should just show up and buy ticket to be sure I make the train? Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks for youe help.

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin to Dresden

Txl doesn't have rail service. You take the bus to the Hauptbahnhof.

Since you are unfamilar with Berlin, I'd allow an hour and a half from projected touchdown to departure for Dresden. This would allow for flight delays and ground transport problems (it seems like the bus I need always just pulls away when I arrive) and getting yourself oriented.

If you can buy in advance, you can save money. But it locks you into a certain journey and you can lose your money if you miss the train.

You can always wait until you get to the rail station and buy your ticket then, but this is the most expensive option but also the most flexible.

There is a grocery store, other stores and a number of restaurants at the Hauptbahnhof. So, if you have to wait a bit, it's not too bad a place to wait.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin to Dresden

Flights are always iffy. Mostly you'll be on time, but there are many reasons for delays. I'd wait and buy a ticket when I got to the train station. It's €37.

You might save half that by purchasing in advance, but you could also lose it by missing the train.

6. Re: Berlin to Dresden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 17:16