We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Berlin or Spend a few days in Dresden

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Berlin or Spend a few days in Dresden

Hello again to all on the Berlin Forum

We have finally booked our trip to Berlin 3rd to 13th Oct (10 days approx), really looking forward to our trip. We are tempted to spend maybe 3 of these days in Dresden which looks really beautiful. Just a few questions regarding this. Do you think this will take too much time from our Berlin experience, we would have about 7 days left for Berlin (we dont want to rush around too much and would like to properly see and enjoy Berlin)? Is 3 days enough time to see Dresden (I know very little about this city)? Would such a short visit do it justice? Is Dresden easy to navigate or is it very large and is there much to see/do there? Basically is this more hassle than its worth? We arrive in Berlin on Mon 3rd at noon and I think it would be best to go straight to Dresden first what do you think? Finally does anyone know if it is possible to take a train from Schonefeld Airport directly to Dresden or whats the best way to get there and how long is the journey? Apologies for the many questions. Hope someone can offer advice. BTW I will ask this on the Dresden forum also. Regards Amelia

Sydney
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Berlin or Spend a few days in Dresden

Hi amelia9,

I think it will depend a lot on what you want to do in Berlin. Have you got a list of places you absolutely have to see and things you totally have to do? How much time will they fill up of your itinerary? You don't have to allocate the activities to a particular day, just keep in mind how half-days and full days add up.

Personally, I would be inclined to add on the trip to Dresden. It's been some 6 years since I was there, but I remember it as being quite easy to get around and quite charming. However, I do have a preference for smaller towns over big cities. Love the big cities, but always glad to escape to smaller, quieter places after 5-7 days! I think 2-3 days in Dresden sounds about right.

2. Re: Stay in Berlin or Spend a few days in Dresden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 August 2011, 07:18
Edited: 04 August 2011, 07:18
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,236 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Berlin or Spend a few days in Dresden

If you want to go to Dresden, I think your idea of going there first is a good one, because once you are in Berlin you won't want to leave. Berlin is such a huge and diverse city, and there is so much to do and to see, that a week is barely enough to scratch the surface.

This is especially the case if you are interested in visiting the museums. The dozen or so main ones alone could keep you fully occupied for a week, and that's before you start making the rounds of the World War II and Berlin Wall sites. You'll also want, as you say, to properly see and enjoy Berlin, which means that at least some of the time you'll want to do nothing, i.e. have a rest from sightseeing and museum going.

So although I haven't been to Dresden, I'd have to answer the implied question in your heading by saying "Stay in Berlin". A compromise might be a day trip to Dresden - Insider Tours do one.

insidertour.com/tours.php/…Tourdetails

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Berlin or Spend a few days in Dresden

Actually I was contemplating doing that Insider tours myself next year, but decided to change our plans since they advised us that there won't be time to visit the 'Green Vault' (Grünes Gewõlbe)

skd.museum/en/…index.html

We have now decided to visit Dresden during our stay in Leipzig

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Berlin or Spend a few days in Dresden

From Schoenfeld, take the SXF-1 bus to the Sudkreuz station in southern Berlin. The buses run about every 20 minutes and take about 20 minutes. The trains from from Berlin to Dresden stop there. It's about a 2 hour train ride.

Dresden is lovely and I wouldn't miss it. It very much reminded me of Prague. It is small, easily managed, and 3 days will give you time to see and enjoy. I was there for 2 full days (and one evening) and never got into any of the museums. I spent a couple of hours on a river boat cruise that would have been better spent anywhere else in Dresden. The trams go everywhere - you can buy day passes (my hotel sold them) and the TI folks were very friendly and helpful (there's a kiosk in the train station - stop in when you get there).

Of course there is enough in Berlin to keep you busy for a month.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Berlin or Spend a few days in Dresden

I always find TA invaluable when travelling and appreciate the time taken by local experts and fellow travellers to help others, (sometimes answering the same questions over and over again with such patience) - dijinnooi, Albastron and Pitzikat, thank you very much for your responses. I find that simply getting the opinions of others can help to make a decision - In this case, I am finding it difficult to decide... Its very tempting to visit Dresden when we are so close, however I would so hate to race around a city like Berlin and try to cram in too much. I never understand how some people can visit a number of cities in a short space of time and feel they have experienced these places - not my kind of holiday. I have found that some cities require a number of visits, I think Berlin may fall into this category as there seems to be so much to see and do. Well, I will have to decide one way or the other soon. Regards Amelia

7. Re: Stay in Berlin or Spend a few days in Dresden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 10:17