We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

berlin in 4 days

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
150 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
berlin in 4 days

Hi Guys,we are planning a 4 day visit to berlin after about 35years.Only thing i remember is the Kurfustandam street,so please tell me what is worth doing there in 4 days and also if i should visit any place around berlin for a day visit or i could also do about 2 days in some other city near berlin,thnx in advance

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,402 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: berlin in 4 days

4 days is on the short side for Berlin. The city has changed a lot.

In this time frame you can include at max a day trip to Potsdam.

http://www.potsdam-tourism.com/

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: berlin in 4 days

I suggest you do little study and make your own guesses. Then post that and get reactions. In another string the person asks whether 11 days in Berlin is long enough. Some say yes, others no. I recall Berlin from 1966. There is no comparison. It it is now 3rd in Europe after only London and Paris as a tourist destination. In 1965 it was an island the German government paid people to visit.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: berlin in 4 days

Hi there i was several days in Berlin and you certainly wont have time to go elsewhere in two days. Berlin has loads to do and plenty to see. My favourite walk and you could break this into two days is to start at the Alexanderplatz which was once the hub of the former east germany and make your way towards the brandenburg gate. This way you will get to see to see quite a lot of interesting things along the Unter den linden which is in itself a fascinating street. You will pass the berlin cathedral, the german museum, the german and french churches and quite a few other interesting buildings. You could also stop and go down freidrich strasse which is one of the main shopping streets and there are loads of places to have coffee or lunch. At the end of the unter den linden you will reach the brandenburg gate which was one of the few places left standing after the second world war. From here you are close to the reichstag, holocaust memorial and even checkpoint charlie which has an amazing museum dedicated to the wall. Another interest museum on this topic is at bernauer strasse which was split in two when they divided the city. Yes you should definitely go to potsdam for the day. The tiergarten is a large urban park and very nice to walk around with quite a few memorials indluding the soviet memorial in the vicinity. You could also visit the former stasi headquarters which is now a museum but you usually have to book this in advance. Berlin is amazing and you could spend double your time and still find news things to see and do.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: berlin in 4 days

Big article on the Bode Museum in today's NY Times. It's a wonderful museum.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,999 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: berlin in 4 days

Thanks, Rob. Can you give us a link? The Bode Museum is my joint favourite (with the Gemaldgalerie).

Edited: 10 August 2011, 14:23
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,999 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: berlin in 4 days

Found it.

nytimes.com/2011/08/10/arts/design/bode-muse…

Perhaps it will encourage more visitors. Not too many, I hope - it's the silence that I love,too.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
150 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: berlin in 4 days

thanx guys,also plz let me know if oct is a good month in berlin weatherwise and between the swissotel and raddisson blu which would be the better choice.

Also which 2 museums in order of must see are in berlin?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,999 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: berlin in 4 days

>Also which 2 museums in order of must see are in berlin?<

It's impossible to answer that question: they are all different, at least a dozen of them are "must sees", and which two you choose depends on what you are interested in. For ancient history, the Pergamon, Neues, and Altes Museums. For 19th-century painting, the Altenationalgalerie, painting from the Middle Ages to the end of the 18th century the Gemaldegalerie, for 20th-century painting the Neuenationalgalerie. For sculpture the Bode Museum. For ethnography and anthropology the Dahlem museums.

And that's just for starters. You need to think about your own must-sees and decide accordingly.

Edited: 10 August 2011, 22:07
9. Re: berlin in 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 13:18