We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

berlin vs munich

Westfield, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
berlin vs munich

I am traveling to germany with two adult daughters during Oktoberfest. we will be in munich and berlin. we only have 5 days a 3/2 split where should we spend the 3rd day? Berlin or munich What should we see?

We like museums and to tour

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: berlin vs munich

It appears you don't already have a room if you ask this question. Rooms are hard to get in Munich at this late date for Oktoberfest and are certainly very expensive. Therefore, it certainly should be much cheaper to stay in Berlin where there is also more to see and do. I don't know when the Berlin Marathon is, but that could also cause problems there.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
425 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: berlin vs munich

I love both cities, but I would have to say, depending on what you are looking to do or your interests are, I would stay the extra night in Berlin.

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,695 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: berlin vs munich

Munich 2 Berlin 3

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,678 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: berlin vs munich

What are the exact dates you are travelling? And do you intend to visit the Oktoberfest in Munich? For a quick peek or serious partying?

Keep in mind that hotels are very expensive in Munich during this time, and also, you should not be visiting the fest on the weekends- too crowded.

Westfield, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: berlin vs munich

just a quick peek. we are going to st petersburg then Berlin and fly out of Munich so want to see it but not heavy driinking. holding a hotel for 3 nights but all replies seem to say stay in Berlin that exta night

thanks for any advice. What else can we do in Munich that you think might be interestig or close by? Can get a driver

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: berlin vs munich

No need to go outside Munich if only 2 days. And no need for driver. A good guide never hurt. I just read that 6 million people come to Munich during Oktoberfest.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: berlin vs munich

"I just read that 6 million people come to Munich during Oktoberfest"

I doubt that there are 6 million visitors, that probably is 6 million attendees at Oktoberfest itself which would be correct and includes locals and repeat visitors.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,678 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: berlin vs munich

You don't need a guid or driver in Munich. The center is rather compact and you can do most on foot, or use the subway.

Must sees include Marienplatz, Viktualienmarkt, Englischer Garten. And of course walk around at the Oktoberfest grounds.

In Berlin there are more sights but Munich is prettier looking, more typical German (read: Bavarian).

The six million figure is the total number of visitors over the two weeks.

On peek times I guess there are maybe a couple of 100.000 people at the grounds (100.000 in the tents, and another 150.000 around - my bad guess)

Edited: 16 August 2011, 12:33
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: berlin vs munich

I'd add the Residenz as another must-see in Munich. If any of you are interested in art, one or more of the Pinakotheken maybe. we particularly liked the Alte Pinakothek.

But otherwise I'd say allow more time in Berlin.

10. Re: berlin vs munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 01:18