We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Berlin?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Berlin?

Hello. I have never been to Berlin before and I am thinking to go there for a long weekend in early December. Could anyone tell me which is the best area to stay. I am looking for good location with easy access to sights at a reasonable prize. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Ackselhaus
Ackselhaus
#4 of 637 hotels in Berlin
i31 Hotel
i31 Hotel
#6 of 637 hotels in Berlin
Hotel Q!
Hotel Q!
#10 of 637 hotels in Berlin
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Berlin?

Try the Mitte area, Hackescher Markt/Rosenthaler Straße. The Circus Hotel is very highly considered and reasonably-priced.

Mentioned in this post
Mitte
Mitte
1,515 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Hackescher Markt
Hackescher Markt
520 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
The Circus Hotel
The Circus Hotel
2,718 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
179 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Berlin?

Rick Steves', travel guru, suggest Pensione Peter's off Ku-damm. You will be just a few steps from Kaiser Wilheim Church and the Berlin Zoo. As for shopping, the famous Ka De We... an attraction in itself is close by as well. Good Luck

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,811 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Berlin?

I'm sure Rick Steves's suggestion is a good one for those who want to be in the western part of the city, but I agree with Pericoloso that if you want to be near most of the main tourist destinations, such as the Berlin Wall sites and the Museum Island museums, you should stay in the east, in Mitte, and look particularly at the areas she has suggested.

From the Circus Hotel at Rosenthaler Platz, or from any of the accommodation near Hackescher Markt, you'll be able to walk almost everywhere, whereas from the Kurfurstendam you'll be dependent on public transport to get to most of the things you'll probably want to see.

That wouldn't be the end of the world - public transport is excellent in Berlin - but on a short visit you're not going to want to spend more time than necessary getting from place to place.

Check the weather forecast before you go. Early December isn't the dead of winter yet, but it could be very cold, and there could be snow, so you'll need to plan your clothing accordingly.

Edited: 29 September 2011, 08:30
Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Mitte
Mitte
1,515 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
The Circus Hotel
The Circus Hotel
2,718 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Hackescher Markt
Hackescher Markt
520 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Berlin?

We loved the Circus Hotel! Great location and the price was just right for us. Easy to get anywhere we wanted to go. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Mentioned in this post
The Circus Hotel
The Circus Hotel
2,718 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
337 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Berlin?

How far is the Pariser Platz from the Circus Hotel?

Mentioned in this post
Pariser Platz
Pariser Platz
343 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
The Circus Hotel
The Circus Hotel
2,718 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Berlin?

I think Berlin is a rare city where it doesn't really make that much difference where your hotel is. There are so many decent or better neighborhoods and public transport is so good. I prefer the old feel of the Ku'damm area.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,811 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Berlin?

I think it matters, and it depends on how long your stay is and what you most want to see.

For anyone who is there for a short time, and wants mainly to explore the Berlin Wall and DDR sites, and the museums of the Museum Island, there would be no point in staying in the Kurfurstendamm area, or indeed anywhere else but Mitte, where they would be within walking distance to everything they are most interested in. Berlin public transport is indeed terrific - certainly putting London to shame - but why spend time and money on it if you don't have to?

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Mitte
Mitte
1,515 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
London
London
England, UK
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,224 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Berlin?

I agree with Rob, I like the Ku'damm area and always stay next to the zoo. The hotels in the West also tend to be cheaper. I also enjoy the walk through the Tiergarten if the weather is good,otherwise the re is public transport and taxis are plentiful and cheap

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
245 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Berlin?

Nollendorf I found quite interesting area (more normal to live in) see below the link for your reference

berlin-bett.de/apartments/…index.html

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Berlin?

Singer109 is a great hostel about 5/10 mins walk from station Jannowitzbrucke, free internet and all sorts, very good!

http://singer109.com/?l=en