We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things of interest at the end of the line

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Things of interest at the end of the line

Hello

I will be in Berlin for the umpteenth time for the week beginning Monday 28 November. Having already seen most of what Berlin has to offer, I am wondering if there is anything of interest towards the end of the U- and S-Bahn lines. In this vain, I have already been to Potsdam, Spandau, Alt-Tegel, Oranienburg, Rathaus Steglitz, Osloer Straße, Uhlandstraße, Warschauer Straße, Wannsee, and naturally, both ends of the U55, namely Hauptbahnhof and Brandenburger Tor, and, although not at the end of the line, Köpenick.

Do any of the other end of line stations have something of interest in their vicinity? I am thinking perhaps of going to Henningsdorf or Ahrensfelde or Bernau or Pankow. Maybe you can offer some advice on places of interest.

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Potsdam
Potsdam
Brandenburg, Germany
Alt Tegel
Alt Tegel
25 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Wannsee
Wannsee
122 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
11,103 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things of interest at the end of the line

Have you tried therapy?

I hear Pankow is pretty groovy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19,008 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things of interest at the end of the line

You don't say what you've done or seen in your (impressive) travels to the ends of the lines but I'll risk the obvious by asking if you've visited Sachsenhausen and the Haus der Wannsee Konferenz at opposite lines of S-1?

I'll be interested in the answers you get, too! Like Pericoloso, I've heard nice things about Pankow.

Mentioned in this post
Haus der Wannsee-Konferenz
Haus der...
579 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things of interest at the end of the line

Somehow this matches the topic...

Sonderzug nach Pankow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdW-rJg71PY

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,882 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things of interest at the end of the line

Bernau has quite some scenic spots

www.info-bernau.de/jobernau07/index.php…

See also the flyer linked on this page.

And things like half timbered houses in combination with "Plattenbauten" as you can find it here

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernau_bei_Berlin

Won't count as "end of the lines" but are in the public transport zone Berlin C.

- Werder (Havel)

http://www.werder-havel.de/

- Schwielowsee-Caputh

http://www.schwielowsee-tourismus.de/

Caputh Palace

http://www.spsg.de/index_31_en.html

Einstein's Summer House

www.einsteinsommerhaus.de/index.php…

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things of interest at the end of the line

@Alabastron

I have indeed been to the Haus der Wannseekonferenz and the Sachsenhausen concentration camp.

@abalada

Thank you for the information. I will look into your suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp
Sachsenhausen...
3,273 Reviews
Oranienburg, Germany
berlin
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things of interest at the end of the line

Mahlsdorf and the Gruenderzeitmuseum, perhaps? Mahlsdorf is not exactly the end of the S5, butit frequently ends there. And on the way you also have Wuhlethal. On the S3 Erkner is a nice city, but more importantly go to Friedrichshagen.

There are also many interesting places reachable by bus/tram only, so you can start with bus/tram lines after you're done with U/S Bahn.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things of interest at the end of the line

@lylou

Thank you also for your input. Can you give some suggestions as to what may lie near the bus and tram routes?

Thanks.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,241 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things of interest at the end of the line

There are really a lot of cool places to see, especially if you include the tram connections. For example, the historic privately-run Tram #87 or Woltersdorf Tramway from S-Bahn station Rahnsdorf, ending in the beautiful community of Woltersdorf where there's a canal lock where boats come through. …mashke.org/germany/woltersdorf/1en.html

Or privately-owned Tram #88 or Rüdersdorf-Schöneiche Tramway starting in Frierichshagen. In Rüdersdorf is the Museumpark Rüdersdorf which used to be a working mine and is now an industrial museum. Much of the limestone used to build Berlin's landmarks was quarried in Rüdersdorf.

BVG Tram #68 starts at S-Bahn station Köpenick, goes through the woods, and ends up in the picturesque village of Schmöckwitz where three lakes meet: Zeuthner See, Langer See, and Seddinsee. The place has a resort-town feel to it and you can eat at a restaurant right on the lakeside or take the little ferry to Krampenburg.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19,008 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things of interest at the end of the line

Your question has brought great answers that are of real interest to me too. I already know after just four visits (five counting one in 1969) that Berlin is an endlessly interesting city and I want to explore it for a long time to come: this thread has helped push the boundaries.

Thanks you for the question, and to all who have responded.

(More about the termini of the tram and bus routes will be very welcome, Lylou.)

Edited: 08 October 2011, 15:48
Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,008 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things of interest at the end of the line

I see Bill2p posted simultaneously with mine, with information about the trams. Many thanks!