We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December 24

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
December 24

Hi, I'm going to be in Berlin for 5 full days from Dec 21- Dec 25.

I'll get the museum pass, in order to put it into good use for 3 consecutive days, I'm planning to visit museums between 21-23. Then Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church and Charlottenburg on 25.

However it seems to be quite hard to fill my schedule for Dec 24. So far, my plan for that days is:

-DDR museum (open till 4pm)

-take a picture at Checkpoint Charlie

-some christmas markets might still be opened.

I'll probably make a reservation for a nice christmas dinner, or consider going to a concert. However I'd love to hear more suggestion for what I can do on Christmas Eve in Berlin. Any idea would be appreciated.

a little information:

-I'm 26, traveling with my mom 56.

-my mom is buddhist, so going to a mass might not be interesting for her, plus neither of us speaks german

-Not interested in anything involved with massive alcohol consumption.

-Trying not to spend over 60euro per person for that day (but if something is worth the money, I'm open to it. )

-Staying nearby Senefelderplatz‎

Thanks in advance!

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December 24

Not sure if it might be interesting for you but most shops will be open until midday on 24th in case you also want to squeeze in a bit of shopping.

The Christmas market on Gendarmenmarkt is open on the 24th. You have to pay a euro or two (I wasn’t last year so not sure how much it is now, 2 years ago it was 1 euro) to get in but it’s definitely worth it. On Alexanderplatz is also a Christmas market which is open on the 24th but it won’t be as nice as the one on Gendarmenmarkt.

The city will be fairly busy during the day of the 24th as many people do some last minute shopping, buying a Christmas tree or buy food for the Christmas dinner. Later in the day/evening Berlin will calm down a bit. The city will be still busy as many younger people go out after having had their Christmas dinner. I used to do that as well when I was younger. ;-)

If you are planning on going to the DDR Museum on the 24th you could combine it with some exploring the city by food like Berliner Dom (it is also worth a visit), Gendarmenmarkt with Deutsche and Französische Dom or a walk along Unter den Linden. The Christmas decoration is usually really nice there.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December 24

Thank you for your response! I kept hearing great things about Gendarmenmarkt, I guess I really should put it on my to-do list :)

by the way, is it safe to say that everything would be running their normal business hours on Dec 23?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,728 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: December 24

Yes, Friday the 23rd is a normal workday with normal hours. Many people are already taking that day off work, it is going to be a very busy travel day, and the shops will be a total zoo, especially the supermarkets. If you visit museums and sights you will not notice much of the 'pre-Christmas stress', though.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December 24

Thank you so much.

Can't wait to be there!

5. Re: December 24

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 17:19