We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin - need help

Level Contributor
171 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin - need help

I am going to Berlin with 6 friends in February and I need some advice on a few things, first of all we will only have about 4 days so I need a some advice on transport, places to eat and other things. I have looked at the places we will visit - the usual tourist spots but in terms of other details I dont know

I am looking for a reasonable self catering apt for 7 or a 3* hotel recommendation that is in the city centre reasonably priced. Also for travelling what type of travel card should we get for 4 days we will need to travel to and from the airport and we may take the U Bahn or bus in the 4 days, is it worth getting one for that length of time?

Also looking for good restaurants/bars for during the day and so late night clubs/pubs.

Last thing where are the main hight street shopping areas? Any help much appreciated I did a bit of research myself but it helps if someone can help with recommendations that have been there already as it is a vast city.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin - need help

Hi Fran

I think you'll find that self-catering accommodation for seven people will be a lot cheaper than even the cheap hotels. I can recommend Urban Apartments Berlin. I've stayed in their apartments several times (and will be doing so again in January). They are reliable, their website is good and easy to use, with honest photos; their prices are reasonable, and they are "hands on": i.e. helpful if help is needed.

Put in your dates, the number of people, and select "Mitte" and you'll find a list of centrally-located apartments that are available for your dates. I just did a search for the hypothetical dates of 6-10 February, and ten available apartments for 7 people came up, so I'm sure you'll find something. If you see something you like, you can come back and ask about its specific area if you're not sure.

I suggest Mitte because with only four days I assume you'll want to stay as centrally as you can, but they also have apartments in Prenzlauerberg and Kreuzberg, which aren't that far away and may suit you better for night life.

For information about transport you need to study the BVG website:

There are numerous options for you to consider. The Welcome Card and the City Tour Card are both available for 48 hours, 72 hours, and five days, and offer free public transport plus discounts on various tourist destinations and attractions - you need to study them to determine which is likely to be best for you. If you're not interested in the discounts (though do study them thoroughly: I thought I wasn't, but then found I was able to save quite a bit of money with them on theatre tickets and museum entries).

For public transport only there are day tickets, which can save a good deal of money if you are going to use the metro, bus, or trams more than once a day. And if you and your friends are planning to go around as a group part or most of the time you might be interested in the small group ticket, on which up to five people can travel.

Regarding restaurants etc, ask this question again once you've booked your accommodation and know where you are staying.

2. Re: Berlin - need help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:42