We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days - how much can we see

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
712 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
4 days - how much can we see

We will be in berlin next weekend for 4 nights - Thursday - Sunday -- we are staying near Alexandaplatz and hope to do a lot of our sightseeing walking. Any help with the most important things to see/do would be a great help - thank you. Should we do some organised tours? If so which ones? How about Sunday - what can we do then

New York
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days - how much can we see

There are lots of tools on tripadvisor to tell you the (many) great things to see. Sunday: museums yes, shopping no. Contributors here like to see the people asking do a little homework.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days - how much can we see

On my first visit to Berlin I did one of the free walking tours (the one that starts at the Brandenburg Gate) and I found it very informative, fun and a very good way to introduce yourself to where things are in the Mitte part of Berlin.

Normally I'd recommend to doing a cycling tour as these are more fun .. but looking at the forecast it looks like we might *finally* get a little bit of snow.

(My first winter in Berlin - Mid January now - and I don't think I've seen a frost let alone a snowflake so far.. so unlike all the locals I can't wait.. bring it on!)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days - how much can we see

Hi there I did about that amount of time in Berlin and saw loads. You should do one day in Potsdam. Berlin has tons to offer. It has loads of history dating back to the second world war and then of course the cold war. Of course much of it has been detroyed or rebuilt but you can still feel it just about everywhere you go. You could spend one day by starting at Alexanderplatz (there is a subway)which was once the heart of the former DDR and once u get out on the sqaure you can still see former communist style buidings and of course the very prominent tv tower. There is a still a large statue of marx and engles. From here you can go to the berlin cathedral and then head down the famous under den linden which has a lot to offer including the french and german churches and the german museum. You will also pass friedrichstrasse which is now home to designer label stores and great cafes if you want to indulge. At the end of the street you will have reached the brandenburg gate and from here its not far to the reichstag, the holcuast memorial, the tiergarten which includes the soviet memorial and checkpoint charlie. You probably wont have much time left for these on the same day. The museum at checkpoint charlie is excellent and if you want to see more stuff connected to the wall then head for the museum on bernauer strasse which was once divided between east and west berlin. You could also visit the stasi museum although you usually have to book tours but we just turned up and ended up on a german tour. All the guides are fomer prisoners but even in german there is enough to see which is self evident. You could also visit the Topography of terror museum. If you want to check out another major thoroughfare in berlin then head for Ku'damm strasse. Berlin is an amazing city.

have a great time

angie

www.angietravels.com

4. Re: 4 days - how much can we see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2012, 16:47
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
712 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days - how much can we see

Many thanks to you all for the information, especially the last 3 above! -- despite what the first reply posted to my query thought - -we already have a long list of what and where are recommended by the books and the internet. However, over time and in many destinations I have discovered that it is the kind of information that some of you have given me now that makes for a great trip - e.g. the impending snow (which I too, will enjoy), the outlined walking trip from Alexandplatz (from Angie) and the videos recommended by Tony -- many thanks again. This really is a great forum for travellers.

6. Re: 4 days - how much can we see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2013, 10:18