We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Night Only!

New York
Level Contributor
169 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
One Night Only!

We're coming into Berlin by train in the afternoon, spending the night, and then leaving in the evening (on a night train to Paris). I haven't been since the Wall fell, and the rest of the family (wife and 11 year old) have never been. How can we make the most of this rushed and crazy visit? Any suggestions for centrally located, interesting but not too expensive hotels? (The Q caught my eye.) /Any suggestions for must-see places that we can manage in our limited time? Thanks!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Night Only!

There are some "Nightseeing" tours of about 2 hrs by bus or minivan, but it appears that if it is just for the three of you, that might be too expensive (those are offered on an individual basis). But there are cruises by boat on the Spree that might also be a nice alternative: berlincitytours.com/tour/…City-Night-Cruise

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Night Only!

If you are coming in the summer and are in town early enough, I'd recommend a bike tour. This one starts at 4 pm and you'll see a lot of main sites. fattirebiketours.com/berlin/tours/berlin-cit…

Or you could do it in the morning the next day. In addition to that I'd recommend seeing the East Side Gallery (you can go there anytime).

For hotels, check Motel One. They are nice with reasonable prices and have several good locations throughout the city (for example, Alexanderplatz).

New York
Level Contributor
169 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Night Only!

Thanks for the ideas!

I'm now down to two hotels and can't tell which is in the better location;

1 Pullman Berlin Schweizerhof

2 Cosmo Hotel Berlin

Both are in Mitte, but relatively far from each other. Any pros/cons for either hotel?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Night Only!

The Cosmo Hotel is in Mitte (Spittelmarkt) - a better location if you want to visit any of the main sights and sites, including the WWII and Berlin Wall sites. You would be nearer to the Holocaust Memorial and the Topography of Terror, for example; also to the Museumsinsel, Unter den Linden, the Brandenburger Tor, the Reichstag, Potsdamer Platz etc. It's also much closer to the startpoint of the Fat Bike tours in Alexanderplatz, which is a good idea, if you decide to do that.

The Pullman Berlin Schweizerhof isn't in Mitte, it's near Bahnhof Zoo. With only a day to spend in Berlin, the Cosmo would be a better choice.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Night Only!

With just a day I wouldn't bother going to East Side Gallery, it's quite some way from the centre. there's a stretch of the Wall at Topography of Terror (quite near Checkpoint Charlie), much more central.

You could get 100 and 200 buses between Alexanderplatz and Bahnhof Zoo:: sitting on the top deck you will see quite a few sites (they have different routes for a lot of the journey). A boat trip is good too.

Florida
Level Contributor
326 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Night Only!

We (family of 5) are scheduled to get in to TXL at 6pm.

From this thread: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187323-s301/Berlin:G… do I understand that we should take the airport express bus into town (we don't have a hotel picked yet) to Alesanderplatz ?.

Then, take the 100 or 200 bus around town to sightsee for a couple of hours?

Unfortunately, our flight leaves again the next morning.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,633 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Night Only!

It depends where your hotel is. If it turns out to be in the Zoo/KuDamm area, you would get the 100/200 bus from Zoo Station to start your ride. Please be aware that these are normal service buses and not tourist sightseeing buses, although there is a lot to see on the route(s). It won' take a couple of hours to get from one end of the 'tourist trail' to the other, unless you keep getting on and off the buses to look at sights.

8. Re: One Night Only!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 07:15