We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin for 4nights/5days April 2012

Portlaoise, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin for 4nights/5days April 2012

Heading to Berlin with my partner Sat 31st March-Wed 4th April - would love some suggestions - favourite things to do on city break include discovering hidden cafes, bars, restaurants - definitely interested in authentic places to visit - not really interested in shopping but do like to browse smaller shops - also realise there's lots of history so some suggestions on best museums to visit (maybe just one day dedicated to that) - love architecture - really open to suggestions - just want to soak up Berlin - arrive early Saturday and leave late Wednesday evening - staying near zoological gardens

Thanks

Trondheim, Norway
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin for 4nights/5days April 2012

Hi, that was good timing as I just published an article with some more unusual things to do in Berlin: grownuptravelguide.com/been-there-havent-don…

If you look on the site under Destinations-Europe-Germany you'll find other ideas too.

Have a great trip!

Andy

Portlaoise, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin for 4nights/5days April 2012

Hi Andy - love it, some great ideas and just what we were looking for - especially like the look of the Katteschmaus and breakfast at the Reichstag - and as this is my first holiday with my nikon love the idea of taking some pics at the abandoned amusement park - love the grown-up travel guide site too - lots of super ideas and advice.

Winnie

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin for 4nights/5days April 2012

Hi there Berlin is one of the most interesting cities to visit in Europe. It basically shaped the 20th century and even though most of it was destroyed and rebuilt you still feel that sense of history wherever you go from the 2nd world war to the cold war. Some of the usual stuff is pretty fascinating like th museum at checkpoint charlie and another museum bernauerstrasse which was where an entire street was split between east and west and there is now a museum there dedicated to it. You could also visit a one of the checkpoint towers - I believe there are still about two standing - one is near the main train station. Would also highly recommend heading to alexanderplatz which was once the hub of rthe former east german and you can still find traces of its past in its communist style buildings, the tv tower and the statue of marx and engels. From here you could walk to the nearby berlin cathedral and then head down the unter den linden street which is one of berlins main thoroughfares, which feels a bit like going back in time. You would also pass the german museum and the german french churches. At the end of the street you will reach the Brandenburg gate which was one of the few structures that was not destoyed by the second world war. I would also recommend a trip to the former headquarters of the stasi. Generally its not one of those museums that you just turn up at and buy a ticket. Tours are usually by prearrangement and the tour guides are fomer prisoners. We just turned up and they let us join a german tour.. There are plenty of signs in english and the basement where they kept the prison is self explanatory.

Have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Portlaoise, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin for 4nights/5days April 2012

Hi Angie

Thank you so much for such a detailed list of places to check out - we are really looking forward to experiencing the eastern german feel of the city so will certainly visit some of the areas you have mentioned and the stasi headquarters was something that we had already identified so we will definitely be heading there - really getting excited about our trip now - it's great to get advice - love tripadvisor forums.

Winnie

5. Re: Berlin for 4nights/5days April 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 08:40