We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin U-Bahn announcements

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin U-Bahn announcements

Does anyone know why the BVG has changed the announcements on its U-Bahn trains from the voices of Ingrid Metz-Neun and Helga Bayertz to a male voice?

I mourn the loss of these old sounds of the Berlin U-Bahn and implore the BVG to reinstate them.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,280 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin U-Bahn announcements

I had no idea who was doing the voices (and I live in Berlin and also do voice-over work). I guess the BVG decided it needed to freshen up its "sound." Best to direct your complaint directly to them, because few people on a TripAdvisor forum would even know what you're talking about.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin U-Bahn announcements

I realise few people are going to know what I am talking about, but those who travel to Berlin frequently, or, indeed, those who live in Berlin, are likely to have noticed the difference in tones, signals and announcements.

It was not my intention to make a complaint on this forum, but merely to see if anyone here knew the reason for the change.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin U-Bahn announcements

I do live in Berlin and to be honest I haven't realized they changed the announcements to a male voice. ;-) But then again I often read (and have been known to miss my stop because of that) or listen to music.

If I think about it I'm pretty sure the voice on the bus I take everyday is still a female voice. I'll listen closely on my way home today.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,688 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin U-Bahn announcements

My most recent recollection as a tourist (who still needs to listen to announcements) :-) is that the voice on the U-bahn is male and the voice on the buses is female.

5. Re: Berlin U-Bahn announcements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:15