We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stolerpsteine: "mini memorials to holocaust victims"

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,647 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Stolerpsteine: "mini memorials to holocaust victims"

Thanks to PTZHKworld for drawing our attention to this interesting article explaining about "Stolpersteine" those little brass "stones" set into pavements/sidewalks in Berlin, and other parts of Germany, commemorating Jewish residents who were transported to the east.

npr.org/2012/05/31/153943491/stumbling-upon-…

In Berlin I've noticed that many people died in Riga (indeed one of the stones in the photo has Riga as initial destination): the Riga ghetto is where the Nazis sent Jews following raids in 1941-42.

holocaustresearchproject.org/ghettos/riga.ht…

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,322 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stolerpsteine: "mini memorials to holocaust victims"

Many cities have these, and more and more are joining the project.Karlsruhe has them, too. I think it is a great way of keeping the memories alive and commemorating the individuals. Behind each of these names there is a personal story.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,647 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stolerpsteine: "mini memorials to holocaust victims"

So far I've only seen them in Berlin but will keep my eyes open this summer as I travel around, including to Karlsruhe.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,394 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stolerpsteine: "mini memorials to holocaust victims"

Düsseldorf has them too. ... Some are against them, because they say it's not good to step on the victims' names. However, the pavement is public property and no-one can sue against a Stolperstein, whereas they'd need the permission of the owner to place a sign on a building.

I think it's a good idea, too, and I've never stepped on one.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stolerpsteine: "mini memorials to holocaust victims"

A better discussion of them is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolpersteine , which also lists cities where they have been installed.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,929 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stolerpsteine: "mini memorials to holocaust victims"

They aren't just for Jewish victims, they are for anyone who was murdered by the nazis.

Frankfurt has over 600 and some of them are for those who were euthanized because they were epileptic, executed for being "traitors" by listening to the BBC and being found out, for being Black, for being a Jehovah Witness, or Gay, or a Roma or Sinti.

I believe there are now over 32,000 Stolperstein.

http://www.stolpersteine.com/index_EN.html

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stolerpsteine: "mini memorials to holocaust victims"

As another sidelight, in Stuttgart many of the hundreds of stairways on the steep hillsides are named for anti-Nazi people who were executed. Another way of remembrance of the victims of that time.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stolerpsteine: "mini memorials to holocaust victims"

I was just looking at the links for Stuttgart Stolpersteine for the website I gave in #4, and it's amazing that all the over 600 locations are listed by street, number and name, and if you click on the names you are given a history of the person and their family and their fate. I've discovered several other ones I hadn't known about within a block of our apartment, I just have been walking on the wrong side of the street to see them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,442 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stolerpsteine: "mini memorials to holocaust victims"

Do you or does anyone know if such a list exists for the Stolpersteine in Berlin?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stolerpsteine: "mini memorials to holocaust victims"

Unfortunately the Berlin Stolpersteine links under Germany in the website in #4 at best only mention a few victims.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,929 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stolerpsteine: "mini memorials to holocaust victims"

www.stolpersteine.com/EN/map_germany.html

Lists for ALL of the Stolperstein.