We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty/Dollar/ Terstappen, Avoid at all costs !!!!!!

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Thrifty/Dollar/ Terstappen, Avoid at all costs !!!!!!

I own a travel agency and have been offering advise to travelers for over 20 years. I thought I knew all the rip off tricks applied by car rental companies. Well I just got "caught" and with my experience, I really did not think it could happen to me.

I usually stay with the larger car rental companies like Hertz, Avis or Budget. On a recent trip to Berlin, I saw a super low rate with Thrifty of 140.00 euros for 14 days, for a full size car. I was skeptical, but it was confirmed by Thrifty's US 800 # and I also called Thrifty in Berlin, they both confirmed the rate, I also informed them that I would be paying for the car with my Chase Ink Bold credit and that I would be waiving the CDW, again both Thrifty agents, US and German confirmed that all I had to do was to show proof that my credit card covered the CDW.

So here is their SCAM. to waive the CDW you must bring a signed letter from VISA with your personal details, Credit card number, name and address etc on the letter and signed by VISA stating that your credit card covers the CDW. I had brought the Chase Ink Bold rules booklet which clearly states that the CDW was covered in Germany. They refused to accept it and would not give me the car unless I purchased the CDW. I informed them that the CDW was optional, they said it was not optional and I was not getting the car unless I paid for the CDW.

The Euro 2012 soccer finals were on and every car rental company was sold out. So I had no option but to surrender and pay for the CDW.

My rate went from 140 euros to 619 euros

My Chase Ink Bold rules booklet clearly stated that the CDW was covered, but Thrifty have insisted on something that 99% of people would never request from Visa, I am not sure VISA would even issue a letter like that.

AVOID this Company.

Thanks

Paul

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thrifty/Dollar/ Terstappen, Avoid at all costs !!!!!!

Sorry,but you join a long list! see the other thread on here

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,185 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrifty/Dollar/ Terstappen, Avoid at all costs !!!!!!

That should be threads. Just do a search of the German forum with term: Terstappen, or: car rental scams. Compared to some others, you got off lightly.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrifty/Dollar/ Terstappen, Avoid at all costs !!!!!!

I have found that Thrifty are always good at finding extra charges to add onto their quote. I just do not use this company any more.

K S
Frankfurt, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Thrifty/Dollar/ Terstappen, Avoid at all costs !!!!!!

I can confirm this wirth a recent experience at the Frankfurt Airport Thrifty. Same thing, they told me I could only waive CDW with a MasterCard and a confirming letter.

My estimated total went from $310 to $650 for two weeks.

The fine print stated at the beginning of the paragraph that CDW is optional. Deep inside the fine print it stated the above condition for waiving CDW.

I will not rent again from Thrifty.

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
3 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thrifty/Dollar/ Terstappen, Avoid at all costs !!!!!!

I wish I had seen these forums before I rented from Dollar in Frankfurt. Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was charged over $1500 onto my credit card - not just a "pending traction" it actually was a charge that went through. This was ultimately resolved, but not without a lot of hassle. I hope that lots of folks read this forum and avoid the inevitable headache that comes from using Dollar at the Frankfurt airport.

Bronxville, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thrifty/Dollar/ Terstappen, Avoid at all costs !!!!!!

Paul,

The exact same thing happened to my husband at Buchbinder Rent-a-car (Dollar / Thrifty) at Frankfurt Airport. He booked a car through Orbitz for €45. My husband has 6 credit cards, gold, platinum, Visa, Amex etc. At the counter, he was told the same thing except now they only accept Gold Mastercard, not Amex or Visa and with a letter certifying that it covers the CDW. No one travels with such a thing.! So he paid another €30 for one day of the Super Damage Waiver which covers damages after the first €600. He returned the car less than 24 hours later and they found a tiny scratch, (who knows how long it had been there) and then charged him the €600. THIS IS A SCAM. DO NOT RENT FROM DOLLAR OR THRIFTY IN Germany! Shame on Orbitz for allowing this to happen on their watch

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,112 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thrifty/Dollar/ Terstappen, Avoid at all costs !!!!!!

see response on your other thread. it is well known that the insurance of mastercard is problematic in Europe. if you had checked your booking, I am sure that you would have found that cdw was not included in the cost. other companies tend to show the cost including cdw, so I guess you went for the cheapest, but didn't check the t and c?

by the way, your story differs. you say that scdw WAS purchased. in that case there is no way he could have been charged for a scratch.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thrifty/Dollar/ Terstappen, Avoid at all costs !!!!!!

I have driven in 50 countries and have never seen a car rental co. this bad. Is there anywhere besides here we can complain about this rip off co.? In my book they're thieves, plain and simple.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,112 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thrifty/Dollar/ Terstappen, Avoid at all costs !!!!!!

you make no mention of how you were "ripped off". could there have been a misunderstanding in relation to terms and conditions? please give some details.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thrifty/Dollar/ Terstappen, Avoid at all costs !!!!!!

Nakagoli, I've noticed that over quite some time, on several different forums, you've many times weighed in to defend the practices of car rental firms that posters have complained about, or to point out that the posters themselves may have been at fault in not reading terms and conditions, etc. (I've never seen a post of yours about anything else, either.)

It's a strange sort of agenda, and I wonder what is at the root of your interest.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 15:19