We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best train from Amsterdam to Berlin

Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best train from Amsterdam to Berlin

Kinda confused..

train options to Berlin from Amsterdam: Schipol to Berlin hbf

I see www.nshispeed.nl/en/contact-with-ns-hispeed and

Then http://www.bahn.de

Then ICE?

Want to experience the fun and luxury of a train..which is the best option? Also direct is best as I am a wheelchair user.

Thanks!

1. Re: Best train from Amsterdam to Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2012, 11:31
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best train from Amsterdam to Berlin

Thank you! I was so confused with ICE and IC and Bhan and NS whew!

So you do not recommend ICE?

I see Bahn only has transfers, minimum one with 33 minutes transfer. Not sure if I will have time to get off train, get luggage and re board.

You first post is for me..thanks!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best train from Amsterdam to Berlin

The ICE is Deutsche Bahn's flagship train. It offers more comfort than the IC. Otherwise the service is the same.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Schiphol

Start: Amsterdam Centraal

Destination: Berlin Hbf

Edited: 25 July 2012, 05:52
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,580 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best train from Amsterdam to Berlin

I would personally recommend taking the ICE, especially if this is your first time taking a high speed train.

For some comparisons of the interior of the train, check these links:

IC:

www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

ICE:

http://www.railfaneurope.net/ice/ice3.html

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best train from Amsterdam to Berlin

If you try these website they will usually give you two options

Schiphol- Berlin (direct) with IC

or

Schiphol- Hannover with IC, then change to ICE to Berlin.

The second option will get you 8 min faster in Berlin and will give you the experience of an ICE train (better than IC).

But it will involve an extra changeover and you risk missing the train in case of delays.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best train from Amsterdam to Berlin

I agree! I'd also recommend the ICE train, if you don't mind changing trains (I think it's once).

The ICE is a very comfortable train, whereas the IC trains are past their best years....

I once took the IC on the route from Amsterdam to Berlin and my train didn't even have an air conditioner, it was like 30°C on that day and it was horrible! On the old coaches without A/C you can open the windows, though. Which is, however, not very comfortable at a speed of 100 mph regarding wind and noise.....

Even if you don't catch an old IC train it's still not as comfortable as the ICE.

Fun and luxury is something you will not find on an IC train.

Regarding the change with a wheel chair, they will always have to get a little ramp for you to get on or off the train. I think there is some hotline where you can book that for free. In that case they will also help you to get to your next train, so don't worry about that.

Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best train from Amsterdam to Berlin

thanks so much! SO I just have to book with Bahn and I will get the ICE..

This is so confusing as I worte them and they are giving me another station:

You can use the following trains for your journey from Amsterdam to Berlin:

amsterdam centraal ab 7:04

Duisberg an 9:06 ab 10:10

Berlin ab 14:12

They say these are ICE trains so cool! Is there much difference between first and second class? Is it worth it to upgrade? But they are being so nice with accomodating me. Love Europe for that!

8. Re: Best train from Amsterdam to Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2012, 11:31
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best train from Amsterdam to Berlin

ok..thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,580 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best train from Amsterdam to Berlin

If you are arriving at the airport (Schiphol), then you can buy a ticket from that station, however, some discounted tickets have strict conditions (meaning valid for a specific train and time). It is recommended not to buy a discounted ticket if you are just arriving, in case your plane is delayed, or your custom/immigration is taking longer than usual.

Here is a link on station info

nshispeed.nl/en/…station-maps-floor-plan