We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which nice city close to Berlin to stay for 3 nights?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BIRMINGHAM
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Which nice city close to Berlin to stay for 3 nights?

Hello I am staying in Berlin in may 2013 for 5 nights with my parents to tour round. I've also got another 5 nights to stay somewhere else. I'm looking at another city nearby to stay for 5 nights to sightseeing where do you recommend. We will proberly go by rail from Berlin

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,881 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which nice city close to Berlin to stay for 3 nights?

Dresden

http://www.dresden.de/dtg/en/index.php

which offers also plenty of options for day trips to nearby places

e.g. Saxon Switzerland - National Park - Elbe Sandstone Mountains

saechsische-schweiz.de/start/click.system…

or the towns Meissen (porcelain), Freiberg and Görlitz

manchester
Level Contributor
118 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which nice city close to Berlin to stay for 3 nights?

Would have to be Potsdam for me so historical only 30 mins from berlin

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which nice city close to Berlin to stay for 3 nights?

Dresden is the best alternative

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
874 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which nice city close to Berlin to stay for 3 nights?

I understand Dresden is great and I wish we could stop there. The same train that goes to Dresden continues to Prague.

I believe Prague is the only European capitol city to not suffer aerial bombardment during WWII.

The total train ride is a little under 5 hours from Berlin to Prague and we bought it for 29E, one way.

Do you have 5 nights or 3?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which nice city close to Berlin to stay for 3 nights?

I would personally add Leipzig to the suggestions already give. The architecture of the train station (Leipzig Hauptbahnhof) is reason enough to go there, but the city centre also offers some worthy museums and beautiful buildings.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which nice city close to Berlin to stay for 3 nights?

I would also like to suggest Dresden.

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which nice city close to Berlin to stay for 3 nights?

Nice cities close to Berlin are Dresden and Leipzig. It was already mentioned what you could do in Dresden. From Leipzig you could do day trips to Naumburg, a preserved town with a famous cathedral, to the Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm, the first English park on the continent, or to Wittenberg, the place where the Protestant Reformation started (preserved town).

You could also use a smaller town as your base and do day trips to sights nearby. This could be a nice change after the big city. The Baltic coast is just 3 hours away from Berlin. You could stay in Stralsund, a preserved Hanseatic town and World Heritage Site, and do day trips to other nearby towns like Wismar or Schwerin, visit some beautiful resorts full of 19th century architecture like Binz or Sellin, or bicycle on one of the islands.

Or you could spend the days in the Harz mountains, which offer several preserved towns, among them Quedlinburg, a World Heritage Site and easily as beautiful as Rothenburg odT. If you stay in Wernigerode, also preserved and full of colorful half-timbered houses, you could use a steam train to explore the mountains (the steam train goes up to the highest peak).

Another possibility is Erfurt, the capital of Thuringia and the biggest German city which wasn't destroyed in WW2. Erfurt offers a beautiful old town, and from there you could do day trips to Weimar and the Wartburg, two World Heritage Sites, the Thuringian Forest, and many preserved small towns, which often were capitals of equally tiny duchies (like Saxe-Coburg-Gotha -> Windsors).

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,315 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which nice city close to Berlin to stay for 3 nights?

5 days (if 5 nights actually means 5 days) isn't all that long for Berlin especially as a day-trip to Potsdam is an absolute must. i think you could consider adding a couple of days to Berlin in fact.

As to where else to go......I was in Erfurt last month for the first time (for two days) and loved it so I would second Martin's suggestion . Erfurt old town is very pretty, less "monumental" than Dresden (look at google images to get an idea).

I also spent a day in Weimar which is a major cultural centre for German-speakers and more classical architecturally. Still haven't made it to Eisenach and the Wartburg, just saw the castle from the train!

title says 3 nights, your text says 5, which is it?

Edited: 17 August 2012, 09:19
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which nice city close to Berlin to stay for 3 nights?

There is plenty to see and do based in Munich....

6 hours by train approx

newcastle england
Level Contributor
52 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which nice city close to Berlin to stay for 3 nights?

Have to agree with the Potsdam recommendation. We went there for a day from Berlin and only managed to see Sanssouci Park, and then not all of that. The gardens and palaces were incredible. If we ever return to Berlin we would consider returning to Potsdam to stay for a couple of days. Would have loved to have had time to go in the palaces and also see some more of the very interesting town.