We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on great restaurants in Berlin

14 posts
Save Topic
Advise on great restaurants in Berlin

I will be in Berlin over Christmas time and would appreciate advise on food/restaurant choices for: lunch, dinners and cafes that have "classic Berlin" uniqueness, nice atmosphere; love spatzel, rabbit, duck, Italian and German food.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
28 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on great restaurants in Berlin

Two of my favorites in the categories you mentioned for dinner are Marjellchen (German/East Prussian/Baltic cuisine) and Gerichtslaube (German). For lunch definitely try Rogacki (German deli). I also really enjoyed Monsieur Vuongs (Vietnamese). I am sure others can provide you with a lot more suggestions. Links below.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187323-d7…

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187323-d1…

14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on great restaurants in Berlin

kb0503: What were some of the features, foods, etc that you enjoyed about those restaurants that made them memorable for you? Thank you for the links!

14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on great restaurants in Berlin

I will be staying in the Gendarmenmarkt (Hilton) Christmas-time and will be visiting Potsdamer Platz, Dali Museum, KaDewe, Checkpoint Charlie, Brandengerg Gate, and Fredrickstrasse in Berlin. Can you suggest great eateries near those areas? I have a bad seafood allergy and need to avoid those speciality restaurants, but love most other things.

Also, do you have suggestions for specific Christmas markets in Berlin that are special in terms of artisans or shows, etc?

Mentioned in this post
Gendarmenmarkt
Gendarmenmarkt
6,386 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Potsdamer Platz
Potsdamer Platz
4,354 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Checkpoint Charlie
Checkpoint Charlie
9,699 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise on great restaurants in Berlin

KaDeWe has a fabulous food court that we always visit at least once for dinner when in Berlin. Fischkutter is our favorite for fresh and flavorful fish but that will not work for you. There are so many options and some are sit down restaurants and others more casual.

The market at Gendarmenmarkt is our favorite It is one Euro to enter and the quality of goods, food and entertainment very good. We go several times and will be there again this year. You can keep your ticket stub for re-entry on the same day.

We stay at Melia and enjoyed a lovely dinner at Cavillino Rosso in the area. A local spot we were recommended to is Twelve Apostles. It is a busting pizza/salad/pasta place with good food and lively atmosphere, very casual. We actually prefer the food at the local Vapiano branch which is very good for a chain. Great salads and reasonable prices.

There is also a small soup only shop located in this area. I know it by sight but not by address but soups are always fresh and tasty.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Gendarmenmarkt
Gendarmenmarkt
6,386 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
28 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise on great restaurants in Berlin

Just a warning about my recommendations: most of them will be a long walk or a ride on the metro from the spots you mentioned (which to me adds to the fun, but may not be for everyone). My memories of these specific places:

-Marjellchen (German/East Prussian/Baltic cuisine) has a very rustic atmosphere. The food choices reflect this and are somewhat different from Bavarian style food most people in the States associate with Germany. I think they have rabbit and duck dishes; I have had goose and boar here.

-Gerichtslaube (German) is in a restored medieval courtroom and has most of the traditional German dishes.

-Rogacki is a massive German style deli - huge sections for cold cuts, baked goods, and seafood (which I understand you must avoid).

-Monsieur Vuong is a Vietnamese place with a small but extremely well executed menu that is usually very popular.

I agree with caviar: definitely plan to spend time in KaDeWe food court - it is unlike anything anywhere else.

Another cool spot near Friedrichstrasse is Oranium. Really elegant interior and they have amazing brunch selections.

There are also some interesting cafes in the areas you mentioned that I wanted to try but ended up running out of time: Wintergarten im Literaturhaus and Quchnia and Maybe you will have more time!

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187323-d6…

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Friedrichstrasse
Friedrichstrasse
494 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Orange County...
Level Contributor
73 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise on great restaurants in Berlin

It's a bit of a ways out of der Mitte, but for Italian, we have very much enjoyed Miseria & Nobilita in Friedrichshain. I just noticed it gets mediocre reviews, but we like it. We will likely be back there during out trip this December.

Mentioned in this post
Mitte
Mitte
1,502 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Friedrichshain
Friedrichshain
121 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise on great restaurants in Berlin

We have just come back from Berlin and had an amazing meal at Cafe No (it is also on this site) - IT is a couple of minutes walk from Leipaeiger strasse. It is small tapas food and lovely wine in a small cosy restaurant - Have the sharer platter and flambe tarte, you won t be disappointed !

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
8. Re: Advise on great restaurants in Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2013, 10:16