We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin Hates Tourists??!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin Hates Tourists??!

So, apparently tourists aren't welcome in Berlin any more, especially younger people (I'm 26). (see article)

huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/13/berlin-tourist…

Should I be worried? I'm going on 25th Sept and I'm feeling worried, I don't want to have a bad trip because people are being rude and unhelpful. I guess you get rude people anywhere but this sounds pretty bad!!

What are other people's thoughts on this article? Has anyone every experienced 'tourist hatred' in Berlin?

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Art & Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Berlin & Beyond
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Trabi-XXL Trabant Limousines
Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin Hates Tourists??!

We have been several times and always been treated well.

Did you read the entire article?

"These protests represent those of a small minority, said Burkhardt Kieker, director of VisitBerlin, the city's main tourist service agency.

"Berlin is regaining the status of a world city. We are becoming a mass tour destination. The average Berliner is honored by the tourists," he said."

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin Hates Tourists??!

Yes, I did read it all-the head of the tourist service agency would say that!

Glad to hear you've been treated well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,972 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin Hates Tourists??!

It's just a bit of sensationalist journalism, Lauren, and as I'm sure you must know, journalists have to fill space: it's their job. And yes, the head of the tourist agency "would say that", but he is clearly right, as anyone who has been to Berlin a number of times as I have, would tell you.

I have met and talked to one or two people who live and work in Berlin who say they are unhappy that they can hardly move for the crowds of summer tourists on their way to work, or that their street is so noisy at night with partying tourists (and no doubt partying Berliners too) that they can't sleep, or that they can't get a table in their favourite restaurant. Surely their feelings are understandable? All big tourist-destination cities have the same problem, and Berlin is no different from London, Paris, or New York in this respect.

But having said that, I've never, ever, found people rude and unhelpful in Berlin, and I don't think you will either. You are probably going to Berlin for just a few days, and will probably be moving around in the areas where tourists go, to see the main sights. You are very unlikely to wander into eastern Friedrichshain where you might see a "tourists go home" banner or run into an anti-tourist demonstration, so stop worrying and enjoy yourself. (Just don't make too much noise in quiet residential areas - or throw up in the street.)

Edited: 19 September 2012, 17:43
Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Friedrichshain
Friedrichshain
121 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,623 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin Hates Tourists??!

It seems to me it is just a bit of sensationalism article, as Alabastron mentioned. It is hardly an in-depth piece of journalism, and should just be relegated to the dustbin.

I have never encountered any problems in my travels in Berlin (I was there last May, which was my 2nd visit to the city).

Just enjoy the city!

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Yardley...
Level Contributor
148 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin Hates Tourists??!

It's the Huffington Post . Does anyone with any sense actually take anything they publish seriously. I am going in January and expect to encounter all kinds of people, some pleasant and helpful , others crabby and miserable. It is a big city and all of it just adds to the experience. Go and enjoy wherever you go and chalk up any unpleasant behavior as just an unhappy grumpy soul.

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin Hates Tourists??!

Do you have to go to London to take your plan to Berlin? Than I would be concernd over this articles:

…telegraph.co.uk/travel/franciscakellett/365…

thetravelmagazine.net/i-3851--london-is-uk-s…

and do you think we should believe this article?

skyscanner.net/news/brits-vote-themselves-wo…

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin Hates Tourists??!

Well, if you think that "Berlin hates tourists" (how can a city have any feelings), then don't bother going there!

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,722 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Berlin Hates Tourists??!

I was there for 2 weeks in August and September and did not experience anything like that.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Berlin Hates Tourists??!

It’s true that there is a minority who hates tourist but that is exactly that … a minority. Berliners in general have a reputation for being ruder than other Germans but often it is not rudeness but they just tell you what they think. ;-) Applies often to taxi drivers. They don’t beat around the bush.

You will experience many helpful Berliners. Don’t worry! You’ll fine and will have a good time.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Berlin Hates Tourists??!

I live in Barcelona and travel regularly to Berlin and in both cities there are people fed up with the tourists but I don't think that it affects a city-break in either place. In fact Barcelona has similar number of tourists to berlin and they are concentrated in a much smaller area so the impact is greater (and yes late-night noise is an issue in some Barcelona neighbourhoods too). In the local (barcelona) press you see articles complaining particularly about the way the city authorities are so geared to pleasing tourists (making the Ramblas like something out of Disney) whereas I haven't seen anything quite like that said about Berlin (yet?!) Obviously Berlin and Barcelona both benefit from the tourists' euros.

There is more discontent about flats becoming holiday rentals because this affects the local housing market and that is becoming an issue in some central areas in both cities.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France