We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from London to Berlin

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
273 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Train from London to Berlin

I am hoping to travel from London to Berlin by train next July. I have checked out maninseat61 website and have found that the fare is as little as €49. The problem is that once you arrive in Brussels there seems to be only a 17 minute window to get from one train to another. Has anyone done this journey? As you can imagine I'm a bit apprehensive on such a narrow time slot, if the train was delayed in any way you would miss the connecting train. Any advice would be very much appreicated.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,921 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from London to Berlin

If it were not possible to make the connection, DB wouldn't offer it. Eurostar trains arrive on Platforms 1/2 and trains to Cologne depart from 3-6; it's literally a few minutes walk. Note that car 18 of the Eurostar is generally the nearest to to the exit at Brussels-Midi.

See this map: http://www.b-europe.com/~/media/Files/Praktisch/Plattegronden/MAP_Brussel_Fr.ashx

If you miss the connection because of a delay to the Eurostar AND you have booked the trip as a single ticket, DB (or Thalys, if your ticket is not DB trains only) will accommodate you on the next available departure.

Edited: 10 November 2012, 11:34
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from London to Berlin

casbird, we were going to train from London to Berlin this coming May but found cheap flights with Lufthansa and decided to fly and get there quicker. At the moment there are fares as little as 53 pounds/66 euro in July which allows for 23kg of checked luggage. This might be a good option, unless you had your heart set on going on the train :)

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
273 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from London to Berlin

Thanks for the advice. I know it's much quicker and cheaper to fly but thought the train would be an adventure as we are hoping to go on to other cities but will certainly research flights, thanks for your help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from London to Berlin

Of course flying is quicker and almost always cheaper (although £49 is an incredible price, particularly if you factor in the saved cost of a night in a hotel). But if you've got the time and want to use it that way, I'm sure the train would be a great way of getting from London to Berlin. I'd love to do it - but never have the time.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from London to Berlin

Darrenmcc is spot on with his advice. Don't worry about the 17 minute connection, it's an officially-recognised connection.

One tip - use the escalator down to the 'connections' corridor half way along the eurostar platform roughly level with Eurostar car 11 when it arrives in Brussels - don't follow the crowds slowly shuffling to the main exit. Diving down there saves a lot of time, and physically changing trains can takes as little as 90 seconds.

I've been from London to Berlin many times, always by train, never by air, and always enjoy the experience - a chance to unwind with a good book, and some lunch with wine in the ICE dining-car!

And yes, I've done it for €49 too!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,921 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from London to Berlin

I had no idea there was the connections corridor! Noted for future trips, thank you!

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from London to Berlin

Hi everybody,

I know this is an old discussion but I'm making the same trip on May 10th (again for the experience rather than convenience), though when I look online, I can only find a route with two connections: Brussels and Cologne. Is there nothing more direct?

Edited: 06 January 2013, 16:50
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,921 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from London to Berlin

No, that's realistically the only way. You could do London - Strasbourg - Frankfurt - Berlin but it would be more expensive and a much longer journey.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from London to Berlin

Eurostar goes to Brussels, not beyond. The ICEs from Brussels go to Frankfurt, change at Cologne for Berlin. So no direct London to Berlin trains yet! But easy enough.

Www.bahn.de/en (only sells options via Eurostar and ICE, but with cheap London specials from €59) also try www.b-Europe-com as this sells both Eurostar plus ICE and Eurostar plus Thalys, though cant (yet) sell London Spezials.

Remember even 'direct' flight require 2 changes, once from train to plane at Heathrow/Luton/Stansted, once from plane to train/bus/taxi at Berlin airport for the last leg to Berlin! ;0)

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from London to Berlin

I haven't been on a train in years. Am I bringing my suitcase on the train or does it get checked like the airlines?