We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlín

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Berlín

Hi all you super travelers

Any idea on Christmas markets in berlín, best non veggie things german to eat? Is it good to by a berlín card of some sort as im there in the downtown area for 3-5 days and i will need to move around? Where could i buy the best german stollen, german cured meats? My mouth drools as i write this..The best out door products store in downtown area perhaps? Best priced designer or good womans clothing store please.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlín

Any idea on Christmas markets in berlín, best non veggie things german to eat?

> Non-veggie foods will generally be wurst and currywurst, though some stalls also do steaks or smoked salmon.

Is it good to by a berlín card of some sort as im there in the downtown area for 3-5 days and i will need to move around?

> The Berlin Welcome Card is valid for 72 hours on all public transport and gets you into the state museums. If museums aren't on your list, stick to standard VBB day passes. If you are in Berlin for more than 4 days, a 7-day pass is better value. Berlin is a massively spread-out city and you will need public transport at some point.

Where could i buy the best german stollen, german cured meats? My mouth drools as i write this.

> The best? KaDeWe. Good and affordable? Any supermarket. There's a branch of EDEKA in the Alexa Centre near Alexanderplatz. Better and affordable? The food hall at Galeria Kaufhof on Alexanderplatz.

The best out door products store in downtown area perhaps?

> There are several branches of Jack Wolfskin in Berlin. There's also a branch of Karstadt Sport on Joachimstaler Strasse near Zoologischer Garten station.

Best priced designer or good womans clothing store please.

> Depends ENTIRELY on taste. Start in KaDeWe or Galeria Kaufhof.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlín

According to today's "Spiegel on Line" German internet magazine, the Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas market) am Gendarmen Markt is one of the best in Germany

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlín

Having just re-read your post, I realise that the first sentence is actually two separate questions.

There are Christmas markets all over the city. Indeed the Gendarmenmarkt market is excellent, though I personally find it too crowded. Other large markets are at the Red Town Hall, Alexanderplatz and Breitscheidsplatz. The stalls sell largely the same things at the same prices and tend to open at 11:00 until around 22:00, later on weekends. Gendarmenmarkt has more independent stalls, I think.

Non-veggie German food - German food is decidedly meat based. However, Berlin is a city of world cuisine. There are a few places for more traditional German food; I like the Berliner Republik on Schiffbauerdamm but there are others which can be recommended.

4. Re: Berlín

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 20:16