We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP with Restaurants

cumbria
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
HELP with Restaurants

HELP I will be visiting Berlin In January with a large group of friends(17) to celebrate my 50th birthday and wish to prebook the restaurants for the evenings.

We are staying at the Swiss otel for 3 nights but are happy to travel to a different area for good food I would prefer to book 3 different styles of restaurant ie rustic /traditinal/modern but preferably German/Austrian cuisine if possible . We all like a good quality food (but not nouvelle cuisine) its nice to experince where the locals would eat and not nessarily the tourists traps.We have no specific budget in mind and would be willing to pay top end price for say one extra special birthday meal . Read lots of reviews in travel journals and foodie magazines but would really like some help and feedback before making resevations.

Choices considered Gugelhof - traditional/rustic

Lutter & wenger -traditinal /elegant or Aigner

Grill Royal -modern and to please the steaks fans and as a contrast to the above.

Also looked at Volt/Florian/Borchardt

The hotel conceirge recommended Keno, Liebniz and Brenner have only found reviews on these 3 on TA

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP with Restaurants

Of the restaurants you list ,I was dissapointed with Lutter & Wegner, Aigner I was quite happy with though they have a sister restaurant Alte Zollhaus which I find better still. Borchardt is nice but with 17 pax you might be relegated to the basement, which didn't look that nice.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP with Restaurants

Just so as you know - Gugelhof is actually an Alsatian restaurant (ie cuisine from Alsace, which is in France at the moment :), but it is pretty 'German' in style.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,269 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP with Restaurants

I haven't visited yet but am researching an upcoming trip. Swisshotel is on Kurfürstendamm and not far from Savignyplatz. How about Marjellchen?

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187323-d7…

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP with Restaurants

I may be the only Berlin visitor who was underwhelmed by the ever-popular Marjellchen. Underwhelmed by the quality of the food, that is, which was just all right, but overwhelmed by the portion size. It took quite a while to recover from it. It's an atmospheric place, and all the reports of the enthusiastic welcome you get there are accurate, which I think must have a lot to do with why so many people love it. We enjoyed ourselves - but the meal itself was just average, and we don't remember it especially fondly because we were so uncomfortable afterwards.

If you go there, I'd suggest you go for lunch so that you've got the rest of the day to walk the meal off. And go hungry: no big Berlin breakfasts or brunches beforehand. Starters and desserts can be shared, and are more than enough for two.

Edited: 21 November 2012, 23:30
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,269 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP with Restaurants

Thanks, Lady A, for your honest opinion on Marjellchen. I will have to reconsider our plans and keep watching this thread for other ideas on non-nouvelle cuisine fine dining.

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP with Restaurants

I am really interested in this thread too...hoping I am not jumping in!....We too are going to berlin for three nights and staying in the swissotel. Swissotel have recommended two restaurants to me - Prices are for NYE- I have booked two of these restaurants, but am looking to book another for NYE - all restaurants i have looked at for NYE require cc number over email which i am nervous about ( we are just back from NYC and a number of dodgy transactions on husbands CC, so we have had to cancel card...hassle)...

I would really love to hear other suggestions. I am booking this trip as a surprise for husband so would like for it to be special.

Restaurante Bacco (good italien kitchen) since over 40 years now. This restaurant offers a 6 course menü for around 150.-€, by walk 5 minutes away from the hotel.

www.bacco.de

Restaurant Balthazar (good international kitchen with regional influence) at the famous Kurfürstendamm Boulevard. This restaurant offers a 6 course menü for 99.-€.

By walk around 15 - 20 minutes and by cab around 5 minutes away from the hotel. www.balthazar-restaurant.de

Restaurant/Club Solar close to the Postdamer Platz with a amazing view from the 17. floor over the city of Berlin. This restaurant offers a 6 or 7 course menü for

around 200.-€. By cab around 15 minutes away from the hotel. www.solarberlin.com

Mar y Sol (good spanish kitchen), at this restaurant you can eat a la carte. By walk around 10 minutes away from the hotel. www.marysol-berlin.de

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP with Restaurants

I am really interested in this thread too...hoping I am not jumping in!....We too are going to berlin for three nights and staying in the swissotel. Swissotel have recommended two restaurants to me - Prices are for NYE- I have booked two of these restaurants, but am looking to book another for NYE - all restaurants i have looked at for NYE require cc number over email which i am nervous about ( we are just back from NYC and a number of dodgy transactions on husbands CC, so we have had to cancel card...hassle)...

I would really love to hear other suggestions. I am booking this trip as a surprise for husband so would like for it to be special.

Restaurante Bacco (good italien kitchen) since over 40 years now. This restaurant offers a 6 course menü for around 150.-€, by walk 5 minutes away from the hotel.

www.bacco.de

Restaurant Balthazar (good international kitchen with regional influence) at the famous Kurfürstendamm Boulevard. This restaurant offers a 6 course menü for 99.-€.

By walk around 15 - 20 minutes and by cab around 5 minutes away from the hotel. www.balthazar-restaurant.de

Restaurant/Club Solar close to the Postdamer Platz with a amazing view from the 17. floor over the city of Berlin. This restaurant offers a 6 or 7 course menü for

around 200.-€. By cab around 15 minutes away from the hotel. www.solarberlin.com

Mar y Sol (good spanish kitchen), at this restaurant you can eat a la carte. By walk around 10 minutes away from the hotel. www.marysol-berlin.de

North Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
104 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP with Restaurants

I found the Aigner very enjoyable, but might consider it a bit more "international" than authentic German. However, everyone in the group should find something they like.

A place we ate at last visit and are returning to in a couple of weeks is Deponie Nr 3. It's more of a locals place, an old tank depot under the railway lines. Good solid German food, plenty of it and inexpensive. Could well be a contrast for you.

cumbria
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP with Restaurants

Many thanks for your advise a friend recommended Aigner they ate there and at Volt which they liked but said it was a bit pricey and the portions quite small one of our party likes farmers portions!) but i will now look at your other recommendation

cumbria
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP with Restaurants

noted it gets a good reviews one of the travel guides i have says its French/german busy looking at the menu of gugelhof and others